When to start a feeder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have it all to yourself?

What kind of terrain? Wooded or open?

There's supposed to be a couple guys going in with me on it, but not sure how that's going to turn out. If they can't then, yeah, I guess I got it all to myself lol.
It's very thick with open spots here and there. Nice spring fed pond and creek running through. Most of it is very thick.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's supposed to be a couple guys going in with me on it, but not sure how that's going to turn out. If they can't then, yeah, I guess I got it all to myself lol.
It's very thick with open spots here and there. Nice spring fed pond and creek running through. Most of it is very thick.
If you can swing it financially, I believe you’ll be much happier with it all to yourself.

Are there cattle on the place? Are there “rules” as to what you can and can’t do as far as clearing and food plots?

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can swing it financially, I believe you’ll be much happier with it all to yourself.

Are there cattle on the place? Are there “rules” as to what you can and can’t do as far as clearing and food plots?
No cattle at all present. I might be able to plant something in some of the openings in the timber, but getting around the property is tough. I gotta clear some of it. I've already been told trapping is not allowed. That's the only special "rule"

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No cattle at all present. I might be able to plant something in some of the openings in the timber, but getting around the property is tough. I gotta clear some of it. I've already been told trapping is not allowed. That's the only special "rule"

Do the landowners coon hunt with hounds?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe so. I think the rule mainly applies because most of the properties managed by the leasing company do have cattle. I could most likely get permission to trap if I asked.
Are there pigs on the place? If so, I would suggest a tube/protein type feeder instead of a throw feeder.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea I think there might be pigs. Looks like someone left a spiral-fence type pig trap out in one of the clearings.
With a tube feeder, or gravity feeder, I assume I would want to get that off the ground so pigs wouldn't destroy it? I was thinking about building a few out of 6" PVC. Cheaper too.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea I think there might be pigs. Looks like someone left a spiral-fence type pig trap out in one of the clearings.
With a tube feeder, or gravity feeder, I assume I would want to get that off the ground so pigs wouldn't destroy it? I was thinking about building a few out of 6" PVC. Cheaper too.
When building a PVC style feeder, neck the opening down to 3". I believe 4" is where deer start getting their heads stuck in it and dying.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you put a spin feeder up, corn will generally last longer. Putting up hog panels in a 24' square will allow deer to jump over and keep 99% of the pigs out. Unfortunately it seems turkey don't like hopping over either.

Depending on what outfit you lease from, it could be trapping is prohibited because the middle man runs bird dogs on some of the properties and he has the same contract for all of his properties.

Latest posts

Top Bottom