When to start a feeder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea I think there might be pigs. Looks like someone left a spiral-fence type pig trap out in one of the clearings.
With a tube feeder, or gravity feeder, I assume I would want to get that off the ground so pigs wouldn't destroy it? I was thinking about building a few out of 6" PVC. Cheaper too.

The only problem I see with PVC tubes is the amount of (or lack of) corn they will hold. You would probably need to fill them pretty often.

I agree with Bassin on using feeder pens.:thumb:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put a cage of some sort around the bottom of your feeder to keep the coons and deer from licking the spinner. I've got hundreds of pics of deer licking the spinner to get more corn out. Coons will climb anything and get to it as well.
You can trap coons year around now so get a start on them as soon as possible and save yourself some money on corn refills.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got mine put up last weekend...my first time feeding so we shall see how it goes.

20200712_154124.jpg

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run about 6 feeders on 400 acres. (sometimes more) I start them in August typically and run them until about the end of February. Even though the season ends in January I continue to feed them thru the coldest weather.

I'm sure it all depends on your spot, but my does typcially pound my feeders all season long. There is no slack time with the skin heads UNLESS you shoot one. LOL. Then it takes about 2 weeks before they show again regularly. Bucks are a crap shoot. Two best times to pattern them at a feeder that I have seen. First week of season and anytime after mid december if is gets super cold. They can help during the rut. We have shot a few nice bucks mid rut cruising feeders simply looking for does. They rarely feed, just stop sniff, and move on.

Farmer925

Marksman
Reaction score
Got mine put up last weekend...my first time feeding so we shall see how it goes.

View attachment 168746
I always cut the grass as low as my mower will go, even scalp it, in about a 30 foot diameter. This makes the corn easy for the critter to find and reduces the amount the field rats and mice eat because of the cover. Just something to consider. Also I always put a camera on the area.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I always cut the grass as low as my mower will go, even scalp it, in about a 30 foot diameter. This makes the corn easy for the critter to find and reduces the amount the field rats and mice eat because of the cover. Just something to consider. Also I always put a camera on the area.
Welcome farmer. I’ve got an old non-propelled mower that I call my trail mower. I mow around the feeders, the walkways in and the shooting range. It goes over gofer mounds and small saplings too.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any update on this Meatgrinder?
Thanks Bassin. We put out a couple gravity feeders with cams just to try to get a look at what's coming around. Most of the property is hard to access so a tripod feeder may not be an option yet. We do have a fence around one feeder, the one that didn't we got some horses coming in. Some does and fawns are coming through pretty regular. I'd like to see a buck or two.

Latest posts

Top Bottom