When to start a feeder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug1949

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I start my deer feeders with corn in the last half of September and feed twice a day. I have lots of oaks, but have not noticed the acorns affecting the deer coming to the corn feeders, even this year when I had acorns everywhere. You could consider putting mineral blocks out year round to help with antler development.

Aviator

Marksman
Reaction score
We’ve had good luck starting our feeders about two weeks before archery season opens, after the first week of November it seems like most of the pics we get are all at night.
If your landowner is open to it planting a few small food plots can be a big draw. We planted clover, WW, and oats on two small areas(60x60) of our property in September and started seeing a lot of activity within a few weeks. It tapered off in November but absolutely got hammered the last part of December and first of January.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I switched from protein to corn about 2 weeks ago. All I had been getting were buck pics on the protein. Since switching to corn, I have doe at every feeder, day and night. Not sure why they didn’t like the protein, but it is pretty obvious the doe prefer corn.
I filled my protein feeder about a month ago. The bucks are hitting it good, but does are camping out at it. They absolutely love the cheap TSC All Stock. :anyone:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I start mine around Labor Day, when I put in food plots. Ground still dry and bare, not a drop of rain - but lots of deer, pigs, turkeys have been eating some high-dollar corn. It'll even out here shortly....it's just about time to make sausage.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just secured my first lease after years of frustrating public hunting. Not putting up with getting things stolen, fighting for duck blinds, sitting under someone's stand in the dark, etc...

Anyhow, I'm going to be putting out a feeder for the first time. When do y'all start filling feeders before the season?
Congratulations I found one I could afford after 8 years on public after 21 on my first lease lost a big part of my life with that first lease. Anyway we fed and trophy rocks year around. Mowed etc after 5-6 years we started getting really nice ones. And take does

Latest posts

Top Bottom