When to throw down the Crabgrass preventer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The internet says Crabgrass germinates when the soil average hits 55-65 degrees.
Current Mesonet measurements have the 2" soil average at 50-51 where I'm at, I suspect it's warmer at seed depth. With a Sunny 4 days forecast ahead, followed by rain on Monday, then some more sunny days, is it time to throw down the preventer or is it still too early?

The winter weeds/grass are probably going to get Round-up'd next week before they really take off to make room for the bermuda grass.

Thoughts.?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're about right. I just bought some stuff at attwoods to prevent crabgrass and sand burrs. Can't remember the name right off hand. Liquid stuff to put in the 3 point sprayer. I'm thinking this weekend is going to be prime time as there is a 90% chance of rain Monday like you said, and this stuff needs at least 1/2" of rain to activate and get into the soil. Have to do it again in July.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're about right. I just bought some stuff at attwoods to prevent crabgrass and sand burrs. Can't remember the name right off hand. Liquid stuff to put in the 3 point sprayer. I'm thinking this weekend is going to be prime time as there is a 90% chance of rain Monday like you said, and this stuff needs at least 1/2" of rain to activate and get into the soil. Have to do it again in July.
When you know what it was, post it please. Need to do something this weekend.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spray with a 15 gal. ATV sprayer. Wonder if I could mix that and Glyphosate together in the same tank, kill 2 birds with 1 stone.?

Latest posts

Top Bottom