When to throw down the Crabgrass preventer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's still dormant (I started seeing green in mine about a week ago) you can use Round Up (or anything with glyphosate in it)
I noticed tonight the bermuda around the bird bath had about 1/4" of green poking out. Going to spray Glyphosate tomorrow to kill the winter grass/weeds and lay down the Crab-grass preventer. Might lose a little bermuda, but it will catch back up quick. I'd be afraid of waiting any longer.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crab-grass has really taken over at my place the last few years. I seem to be so busy this time of year that before I realize it it's too late for a pre-emergent. Is there a good granule that will work? I have a pull broadcaster but only a hand pump sprayer and need to do nearly two acres.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its Surflan. It already has the dye in it to show where you've sprayed.
It was on 50% off at Attwoods. Don't know if it is now.
I buy it by the 2 1/2 gallon jugs for the farm.
Man you were't kidding, opened the lid, though I'd been punked. Fluorescent Orange paint is what it looked like. Got it down in heavy concentrations in the bad Crabgrass areas, we'll see..

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crab-grass has really taken over at my place the last few years. I seem to be so busy this time of year that before I realize it it's too late for a pre-emergent. Is there a good granule that will work? I have a pull broadcaster but only a hand pump sprayer and need to do nearly two acres.
Han an atv?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This stuff?

Attachments

• 20170216_171333.jpg
    20170216_171333.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 71

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even with all the chems in the world, you'll still get weeds here and there... spot spray with 24D, it'll kill crabgrass early (1st and 2nd tiller growth) or snag some msma to kill everything except bermuda (mix light in summer heat, 1/2 oz per gallon)

If goosegrass (what 9 out of 10 Okies mistake for crabgrass) pops up, spot spray with round up/glyphosate. It's msma proof. Grass will grow back.

Of course, that's just what I do in SWOK.

Thanks, really had a hard time identifing this, and was not sure what it was. I thought it was crabgrass but MSMA really was not doing much to it last year. My yard is too big to spot spray. Will 24D take care of the goosegrass later in the year?

Latest posts

Top Bottom