When will they fire Gundy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem is with OSU, is that if they get rid of Gundy, it will likely become a revolving door/stepping stone program again.

Until this year I believed the same. That said with the exception of say the top10 programs in the country the remainder are already. Can’t see OSU ever being a top 10 program in football because of its remote location so I’m there let’s send him packing

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened already . . . but unless it's another OSU grad or well known Oklahoma HS coach who would take the job and stay long enough to "right the ship"?

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mike Gundy has been another unfortunate victim of COVID-19. When you consider players opting out and the injuries in the offensive line & now kicker, its amazing they are winning games at all. Add the fact that Chuba Hubbard is just sucking up a scholarship spot while he waits for the NFL.

But Mike Gundy looks to have hit a wall at Oklahoma State. He does not look like he's still hungry. The comfort of a big salary has let him become conservative in his play calling and game plans. How much time is he really spending studying film himself instead of tasking Grad Assists with creating tapes for him.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you say Gundy is the best they will ever get which is false. He still isn't the best they ever had. With all the things you say kept him here and why he succeeded you can't leave out the Semi's full of Money that Boone sent to Stillwater. No other coach at OSU ever had that luxury of the Stadium he got and all the money they spent. The issue is now it doesn't matter that OSU has Pro level facilities for these scholarship turkeys to use. That isn't that big a deal anymore. OSU didn't strike when the iron was hot and missed their window. If there is a lesson to be learned here its they stuck with Gundy too long and will never recover. I still think if they are willing to toss around 5-6mil a year on a coach they should be able to do better than Gundy.

Jcelt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gundy is an under-performer that does less with more talent than any quality coach should. It doesn’t bother him to lose. He is 13-13 in his last 26 big 12 games and that percentage will get worse as he stays. He loses a lot of games he shouldn’t to unranked teams. He always plays “not to lose” instead of to win. I don’t think it would be any problem to hire a quality coach for 4-5 million a year. He had some good years but he peaked in the 2011 choke year when he should have been in the playoffs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom