Where Am I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

Didn’t want to hijack the “what states are represented” thread but it did bring up a question I have from time to time. Being a transplant I’m finding a lot of things to be really unique from anywhere else and it’s a little difficult trying to label what region of the US Oklahoma belongs. It’s like it’s a one of a kind place and I think that’s pretty darn cool. I’ve read anything west of Arkansas was considered the Wild West and being in SW Oklahoma I definitely get that feel, definitely more cows than people down this way. But then sometimes I feel like I’m living in The South and other times it has almost a Mid-West feel. So folks how would you guys describe Oklahoma? Just where am I?? 😂😂

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it is a perspective that is different with different peoples. There is a YouTube channel called "It's a Southern Thing" in which two people are discussing what states belong in the South. One of those people states that Oklahoma is part of the South.

However, while come Civil War battles might have been fought here, I think most people (including myself) identify Oklahoma more in the category of the Southwest. I don't know where they would classify Kansas to be, but since Texas was a Southern state in the Civil War, I'm not sure that Oklahoma was considered such, even though some from Oklahoma fought for the South. I also suspect some fought for the North.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get me started on the regional states fiasco. It's one of my big pet peaves the way they labeled them and haven't updated it to be true geographical regions. Like everything north of us is Midwest, bi+<h please! That is central and when you get west of the great lakes that's north central states. Go farther west from there: northwest states go south midwest, keep going southwest. And New England states aren't northern, they are northeastern states. Ugh! Where's my blood pressure pills again? Lol. Sorry for the rant. Carry on.
As far as the op's question, I consider us south central, but I'm weird and have the shirt to prove it!

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn’t mean to start any trouble. 😉

You’re in God’s country. Stick around and it’ll all make sense, but please don’t tell anymore of your California friends about this place. I’m afraid y’all are going to start outnumbering the cattle.

Nope, I’m all done…..my middle daughter was the last and she just moved to Memphis so “ya’ll” are safe. And for the record @OkieJoe72 i know I live in Paradise.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember right the US census bureau considers the state of Oklahoma as part of the “south”. But if you wanna look at it from a civil war standpoint, we weren’t a state yet, and the Indians kicked anyones ass that showed up looking to make “Indian territory” the north or the south. I’ve lived here for the majority of my life, and I have found Oklahoma is pretty conditional in terms of geography. If I’m on the west coast, it’s the south. If I’m in the northeast it’s the Wild West, if I’m overseas, Oklahoma is “that place just above Texas”. Otherwise, Oklahoma is just in the middle in my head. I dont really think about it too much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom