Where are the good gunsmiths at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There a link or business contact info?

Steve Baldwin at Mechanical Accuracy
(405) 399-2875
111 East Atlanta
Jones, OK.

Custom sights for black powder shooters is his "claim to fame," but he does everything. I've had him put together more than one custom rifle. And, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet!

http://www.baldwinsights.com/

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good gunsmith knows when to say "no". Most gunsmith's specialize in a particular area of expertise. Also, a good gunsmith diagnoses the problem before they do anything. A lot of 'em will just start throwing parts at a gun and eventually get it fixed and you get the bill. To be a good gunsmith you have to be a diagnostician, a machinist, a metallurgist, a mechanic, a woodworker, a sculptor........

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And, @SPDguns knows of which he speaks! Depending on what you're wanting done, he just might be your man. Be advised, either of them is going to be a considerable drive from you!

Robert Mettler

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't trust any " gunsmith " that specializes in the AR platform rifles. Just about any youtuber can work on these rifles without blowing themselves up or their customers. My only experience with a Oklahoma gunsmith was a Winchester factory warranty smith at sportsworld in tulsa . I had a m70 made in the late 70s that would not reliably eject the spent case . They said it had a weak spring and they replaced it and cleaned the bolt . long story short it didn't fix the problem. So I no longer own it .

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another vote of confidence for Steve Baldwin. Good friend I thru BPCR matches (at least till Glaucoma took its toll) and a good shooter and supporter of the sport as well. He’s in Jones.

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another hearty recommendation for Mr Baldwin. He re-barreled a R700 action for me, blueprinted and threaded the barrel in 3 days, for $230 less than the next closest reputable smith (in east Texas). He does excellent work for honest prices in a very reasonable amount of time. May he live a thousand years, 'cause I don't want to have to try to find another guy to do this kind of work.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked up Mechanical accuracy on google, it is listed as permanently closed. Does anyone know if they are still in business? I have a couple of rifles I’d like to have worked on.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used @SPDguns for sight install and he is good to go. He even met the timeline.
Second smith I have used is Dave @ L&L Machine gun. He assembled and blued a smith revolver for me. Quoted me 30 days and had it done in 10.

there was a gunsmith at L&L that I wanted him to change the muzzle device on my colt upper I bought from him. He refused and said he doesn't work on black rifles. OOOk , buddy. Took it to 2A instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom