Where are you buying your long term food storage items?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious where everyone is buying their long term food storage? Internet ordering is ok but can get very expensive. I have a few suggestions that might help, but some of you may already know about and be using them.

I have stocked up some foods when on sale at local grocery and drug stores. Canned foods, canned meats and hams, etc. These items are not real long storage, anywhere from a year to up to maybe 5 years if stored properly.

I also went to the Mormon LDS cannery in OKC which is just south of the airport. Very nice people, open to all, no preaching. They have mainly just staple items. They just want to help people. You can buy a lot of things pre-canned in #10 cans or you can, for a few more months, buy the large bulk bags. Beans, wheat, flour, sugar, dried milk, a few veggie and fruit items. For the next few months you can also can your stuff in their cans with their equipment. Google "LDS food pantry" for a list of available foods and locations, and you can look at what is available. I highly recommend them, you need to call them to find their hours, etc.

I did find one local retailer, a Homeland grocery, that has some Augason Farms freeze dried foods in #10 and regular shelf size cans. I was surprised that the prices were reasonable, considering I think Homeland is usually too high on grocery items.

There's also Sams, and if you live in Southen Oklahoma, Costco is DFW too. Neither has a whole lot of variety of items but you can definitely get some things worth storing up.

I am familiar with a huge company called US Foods, they are a national wholesaler of all kinds of foods, dedicated to restaurants, cafeterias, restaurants, etc. However they just opened a retail store in OKC on I-240 & Walker, northwest corner. I was in there today and was impressed. Keep in mind they are oriented to large scale purchases by institutions, but this one location is open to the public and you can buy smaller quantities. I'll be back in the next day or two to pick up some items I just couldn't find at Sams or elsewhere that should store for a couple of years, maybe longer.

So this is my contribution. Does anyone know of any other place that is selling food items and supplies that would be good for prepping?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Oklahoma food co-op is a good, local, source of wheatberries (less expensive than Honeyville)...and they even deliver if you don't want to pick it up.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gene, even if you don't live in SOK, Costco is a GREAT deal. They will deliver free ... I've had several FD/DH food items delivered to my home address for the same cost as it would have been at the store (and caught it on sale to boot) ... UPS guys was NOT happy with me but why spend the time, gas and wear and tear on my vehicle to drive to DFW when I can just have it delivered to my doorstep?

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sams has buckets for $89-ish but it also includes a water bottle with filter and fire starting supplies.

It's auguson farms which isn't bad. 300 1800 calorie meals. I found two dented buckets and asked the manager if there was a dent discount and she let me buy them for 70 bucks apiece. I felt like I won the lotto.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sams has buckets for $89-ish but it also includes a water bottle with filter and fire starting supplies.

It's auguson farms which isn't bad. 300 1800 calorie meals. I found two dented buckets and asked the manager if there was a dent discount and she let me buy them for 70 bucks apiece. I felt like I won the lotto.

I must not be shopping at the right Sam's because I haven't seen them yet -- Just online. Which one you guys shopping at? (I know, I know ...) I can't imagine it's the same Sam's since y'all are across town from each other ... :scratch: Wierder even is I'm smack in the middle of you two ... :scratch:

Dang 7stw!! That's SA-WEET!! :D

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Sams south side of I-40 between Meridian and MacArthur had those Augason buckets, a couple pallets of them. They only had 1 left when I was there a few days ago, and it was dented. I should have asked the manager about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom