Where Do You Want to Live: Red State or Blue State?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you just defeated your own opinion. You are correct that you are leaving for the right reasons, and you will not bring the commie ideology; with you, but sadly that isn't what actually has happened.
All of those cities you quoted have gone liberal because of immigration from other states.

Republicans have a problem.

While they’re continuing to perform OK-ish in the Midwest and the South in the era of Donald Trump, on Tuesday they got hammered in the Mountain West—a region loosely defined as “cowboy country,” i.e., Texas plus everything from Colorado and New Mexico to the borders of the Pacific coast states. It’s the continuation of a trend that’s been going on for more than a decade, but it’s particularly worrisome now. Republicans should be able to win in states largely populated by fiscally conservative, pro-gun rights individuals. But the results Tuesday were no bueno.

"Nevada and Colorado are starting to look more blue than purple. Arizona, which has more Electoral College votes than either, has been Republican since forever but now appears to be an honest-to-God swing state. New Mexico, which used to be a swing state, is now completely out of reach for the GOP except under the most unusual circumstances.

Montana has been showing for some time that if you run the right Democrat, it can go blue. Even Utah and Texas appear to be changing, politically. It’s all very bad news for the GOP, but it’s unclear whether national figures sitting in offices in Washington, D.C., have noticed or care about it."
https://www.thedailybeast.com/dont-look-now-but-the-mountain-west-is-turning-blue

Ted Turner, the biggest land owner in the US bought land in Montana along a famous trout stream in Monta years ago
He subdivided it into areas where the rich can build.
What happened is that the new owners caused the property taxes to go to the moon in that county.
So, how did that effect the people that owned land around where Ted Turner bought land?

In that area it might take up to 100 acres or more to keep a cow fed off grass per cow. In Ok with good grass it might take two to three acres.
Ranches and homesteads that had been in existence for over a hundred years in Montana were forced to close because they couldn't afford the property tax because of the high end development by turner.

This is how the left is taking over the West.

I don't disagree that the left is moving to many of these areas and affecting the politics. I just don't see it in most places other than a few places where this is because of a liberal/progressive immigration caused problems. The massive amount of liberal indoctrination in the high schools and colleges has been happening, to a large degree, in the last 20 years. None of this happens over night and takes years, especially in places that were Conservatives strong holds. Look at all the big cities in various states that were once majority Conservative and what does that city have? Austin has Univ of Texas, Missoula has Univ of MT, Bozeman has MT State Univ, Denver/Boulder has Univ of CO, Arizona has ASU and UofA and a huge immigrant Mexican population, Utah has three major universities in town, BYU, UofU and Utah State all in the SLC complex. Chit happens slowly and we are getting to peak-liberal in these areas and many others.

Dennis, I'm well aware of Ted Turners fingers into MT but what development did he create? He has a massive ranch for buffalo near Gallatin Gateway that is incredible. What river did he develop on, the Gallatin River or the Madison?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't disagree that the left is moving to many of these areas and affecting the politics. I just don't see it in most places other than a few places where this is because of a liberal/progressive immigration caused problems. The massive amount of liberal indoctrination in the high schools and colleges has been happening, to a large degree, in the last 20 years. None of this happens over night and takes years, especially in places that were Conservatives strong holds. Look at all the big cities in various states that were once majority Conservative and what does that city have? Austin has Univ of Texas, Missoula has Univ of MT, Bozeman has MT State Univ, Denver/Boulder has Univ of CO, Arizona has ASU and UofA and a huge immigrant Mexican population, Utah has three major universities in town, BYU, UofU and Utah State all in the SLC complex. Chit happens slowly and we are getting to peak-liberal in these areas and many others.

Dennis, I'm well aware of Ted Turners fingers into MT but what development did he create? He has a massive ranch for buffalo near Gallatin Gateway that is incredible. What river did he develop on, the Gallatin River or the Madison?
Cherry Creek Watershed on his Flying D ranch. Kayne West has bought a 14 million dollar property not far from Turners which has also increased the property values so the ranchers cannot afford to keep up with the property taxes.
Turner isn't doing this malischlily. He was raised hunting and fishing and tries to do conservation efforts on his properties, but the fact is that it drives ranchers living on the cusp of bankruptcy out of business.
Here is another story from Nebraska where he has done the same.

Another persistent complaint is that Turner's extraordinary ability to outbid just about anyone is driving up land prices, making it tougher for longtime ranchers to expand and keep their operations afloat.
Over the past decade, ranch land in the Sandhills region of the state where Turner owns all his property has more than doubled in price to over $300 an acre.

Kevin McCully, a Mullen-area land broker, said only a part of the increase can be attributed to Turner. Maybe, said Kime, but he just knows he can't compete: The recent auction was the third time in recent years that he was outbid by Turner, who now borders about three-quarters of Kime's ranch.

Kime now wonders whether someday he might have to sell the ranch that has been in the family for generations.

"Turner might be the only one around that would want to buy it," he said.
https://www.foxnews.com/story/ted-turners-massive-land-purchases-generate-suspicion

Turner recently sold the 40 some thousand acre land he bought back in the 80's in Osage County where I live in Ok to the Osage Tribe.
The Nature Conservancy bought several defunt ranches and now operates it as the Tall Grass Prairie Preserve. Turners intent as I read was to re-introduce the black foot ferret that used to live in this area. He was also raising bison on the property. No clue why he sold it although we have a member on OSA that might.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The biggest problem is how the several state's legislatures have lost a senate and gained a second house of representatives. Republicanism has all but been destroyed by a single court case titled Reynolds v. Simms.

In a true republic, each county would have one senator. Dividing the state according to the population as is what is required in a house of representatives ends up placing several sparsely populated counties into a single senatorial district, and the highly populated cities end up with multiple senators. The country folk - farmers, ranchers - don't have enough of a say in government.

With a senator from each county, you will have a good balance of power in state governance. Unless an act benefits both the cities and the rural areas, it won't pass. If the cities want to enact some special act(The MAPS projects for example), they can do it in their own area, support it with their own city taxes, and the rest of the state won't have to support anything that is only a benefit to those cities.

Woody

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will never live in a blue state again. I was in CT for six years before moving to OK. OK, TX, FL are the only states I am interested in. Once our kids leave OK then TX or FL are my choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget all the illegals that have had anchor babies that are citizens and able to vote. That has added a lot more voters to the blue side than red. The majority of them are under age 30.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cherry Creek Watershed on his Flying D ranch. Kayne West has bought a 14 million dollar property not far from Turners which has also increased the property values so the ranchers cannot afford to keep up with the property taxes.
Turner isn't doing this malischlily. He was raised hunting and fishing and tries to do conservation efforts on his properties, but the fact is that it drives ranchers living on the cusp of bankruptcy out of business.
Here is another story from Nebraska where he has done the same.

Another persistent complaint is that Turner's extraordinary ability to outbid just about anyone is driving up land prices, making it tougher for longtime ranchers to expand and keep their operations afloat.
Over the past decade, ranch land in the Sandhills region of the state where Turner owns all his property has more than doubled in price to over $300 an acre.

Kevin McCully, a Mullen-area land broker, said only a part of the increase can be attributed to Turner. Maybe, said Kime, but he just knows he can't compete: The recent auction was the third time in recent years that he was outbid by Turner, who now borders about three-quarters of Kime's ranch.

Kime now wonders whether someday he might have to sell the ranch that has been in the family for generations.

"Turner might be the only one around that would want to buy it," he said.
https://www.foxnews.com/story/ted-turners-massive-land-purchases-generate-suspicion

Turner recently sold the 40 some thousand acre land he bought back in the 80's in Osage County where I live in Ok to the Osage Tribe.
The Nature Conservancy bought several defunt ranches and now operates it as the Tall Grass Prairie Preserve. Turners intent as I read was to re-introduce the black foot ferret that used to live in this area. He was also raising bison on the property. No clue why he sold it although we have a member on OSA that might.

I've driven through the Flying D ranch just outside of Bozeman. It's incredible to see the signs that you are entering his ranch and then how long you drive until you get to the other boundry and then looking out how far his property goes. It was truly amazing.

I don't know the property tax laws in OK and don't necessarily understand how one rich mans property purchase affects his neighbors property taxes. Here in California we have Prop 13 which keeps property taxes low. What our neighbors pay has no affect on our own property taxes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've driven through the Flying D ranch just outside of Bozeman. It's incredible to see the signs that you are entering his ranch and then how long you drive until you get to the other boundry and then looking out how far his property goes. It was truly amazing.

I don't know the property tax laws in OK and don't necessarily understand how one rich mans property purchase affects his neighbors property taxes. Here in California we have Prop 13 which keeps property taxes low. What our neighbors pay has no affect on our own property taxes.
In Ok, the property taxes are set by the value of the homes that are in an area. The more the homes cost the higher the property tax.
Since we live in the sticks, they only way they can do an evaluation on our home is to attach it to a developed neighborhood three miles away with paved streets, curbs, and 2500 sq ft homes that run 200K+.
Our home has dirt roads that have to be maintained by me as well as the drainage. Its a very nice home but nowhere near 200K+ in real estate value.
Edit: I have appeared before the County commissioner to protest the valuation, but it always falls on deaf ears and is denied.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
One of the guys I work with bought a new house in a new neighborhood. His was only the 5th house that was lived in. California tags on the three houses around him now. Two have Biden signs in the yards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom