Where have you gone that is the farthest from home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last few months before I retired from Sun Refinery in Tulsa, we had some contractors from New Zealand working in the refinery. Visiting with them got me thinking about visiting New Zealand, and Australia, so that was our first trip after I retired. This trip was in December, summer there, and that was strange, one of the stops for the cruse ship was Hobart, Tasmania , and they had the main street blocked off Christmas decorations up, and people in costume singing Christmas Carrol's, and it was 90 degrees! Neat place the people talk funny but are very friendly people! We ran into a couple from Muskogee. OK. while in Achland, New Zeland! A little advice if plannng a r trip this long, 13 hours nonstop from LA, to Sydney, we were on a plane, or sitting in an airport waiting for the next flight, for over 30 hours straight! Plan a break in the middle of the trip!

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my 8 years in the USAF,,,
I had one of those "Join the US Armed Forces and see the world" jobs.

I was one of a very small AFSC that maintained unmanned seismic sites worldwide,,,
My job entailed a slew of temporary duty (TDY) assignments.

Sometimes the TDY's were wonderful,,,
Six weeks in Jamaica staying at a nice hotel,,,
Drawing over $50/day extra pay and working about 2 hours per day.

Other times they were dismal,,,
7 weeks living in a tent in South Korea,,,
Eating old Army rations and being wet 24-7.

But, I did set foot down in 37 different countries and 49 states,,,
I've never been to Rhode Island.

Again sometimes it was land, get driven to the embassy basement,,,
Repair a data transmitter, and leave that same day,,,
Other times it was like a paid luxury vacation.

I have family who have never crossed their state lines,,,
And for some reason they seem proud of that.

Aarond

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
13 hours nonstop from LA, to Sydney,

Atlanta to Johannesburg, South Africa, eighteen-and-a-half hours non-stop. On the way home, we landed on a small island off the west coast of northern Africa somewhere and were supposed to be able to get off the plane for a while to stretch. Didn't happen. Another airliner was broken down and all of their passengers were in the terminal. They didn't have room for us. So, we sat on a 747 just waiting to take off again.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Furthest for me was just shy a couple miles of the Canada border in North Dakota on a pipeline job, I've been to Texas a handful of times however & always felt a million miles from home if that counts

Latest posts

Top Bottom