Where have you gone that is the farthest from home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spider27monkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As an Army Brat,
Born Stillwater, Oklahoma.
Moved to Berlin Germany at 6 months old.
Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana K-1st grade
Machinato, Okinawa, 2-4th grade
Fort Meade, Maryland, 5-6 grade
AFCENT, Brunsum, Netherlands, 7-9 grade
Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, 10th Grade
Graduated BTW high school.
My parents made sure we did a bunch of sightseeing wherever we were stationed.
Now my son is in the military with three kids that have been born in three different states.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Warning:This is going to be a long tale about a trip to Germany. I don’t know how to make it much shorter. Hopefully a few find it entertaining. It is a true story and one my many fond traveling memories.

Back when I was a young 24 year old, with a full head of hair, I traveled to Germany. My parents were living in a small town outside of Wurzburg, Germany. My father was employed by the Army as a social worker.

I had just finished supervising a construction job in Ohio and there was not another project lined up for the next month and the company paid my salary even in between projects, so I booked a flight for Germany for a two week stay in Germany.

At that time I did not have a place of my own and stayed in motels as my job required working in multiple states for extended periods. I had friends in McAlester, OK I stayed with in between projects.

The prior few weeks before heading to Germany, I kept thinking I would love to meet a beautiful German girl on the flight to Germany who could show me around Germany.

I had a flight for Germany out of the Tulsa airport and a connecting flight from JFK airport in NYC to Germany.

On the connecting flight at JFK, I’m sitting in the window seat of the TWA aircraft and the plane is full except for the seat next to me and another a few rows ahead. A big fat guy comes down the aisle and I’m thinking I’m going to have this fat guy next to me, crowding me all the way to Germany. Thankfully he takes the seat a few rows ahead. Then this beautiful lady dressed to the nines and at least 10 years older than me, maybe even 15 years my senior, comes down the aisle and takes the seat next to me.

This is just before Christmas and there was a snow storm that had delayed flights and we sat on the tarmac for three hours before being cleared for take- off. Needless to say, the passengers were not happy and neither were the flight attendants. It didn’t bother me at all. I had a gorgeous lady next to me and we were having a great conversation and hit it off well.

When we finally got airborne and leveled off the flight attendants announced that the drinks were on the house with no limits because of the extended delay. Before we had gotten halfway across the Atlantic, all the booze for the flight had been consumed and when they turned out the lights, this beautiful classy lady starts cuddling with me and in no time at all, we are lip locked and spent most of remaining flight off and on making out. There were a couple old ladies behind us that groaned and moaned and thought it disgusting. Myself, I didn’t care. I stayed in a perpetual state of horniness at that age and was in heaven. (some things never change)

It turns out that this lady had married an American G.I. and was originally from Germany and was going to Germany to visit her parents and sister. She lived in Alexandria, VA and had gotten divorced from the American G.I. and had done quite well in real estate owning multiple properties around the D.C. area.

She invited me to come visit her and her family who lived in a small town in Southwest Germany just across the border from France. I spent a few days with my parents then took a train across Germany to visit her and her parents. Her father spoke English fairly well. He had been captured by the Americans in North Africa his first day in the war zone and had spent most of WW2 in a prison camp in Idaho that raised potatoes and said he enjoyed his stay in America. Her mother did not speak English, but doted on me. I reminded her of a son they had lost in a car wreck. Her parents thought I was wearing a toupee and pulled my hair to make sure it was mine. Back then I had very thick hair……….. now I wonder where it all went.

I had never slept in a feather bed and they gave me a room with a feather bed. I do believe that was one of the most comfortable beds I’ve ever slept in.

I had a great time with her family and when I left her mother cried and didn’t want me to leave.

There is much more to the story, but that would be X-rated. So I will leave that to your imagination.

This lady and I corresponded by letter a few times and then I never heard from her again. I do believe I was taken advantage by an older lady simply to satisfy her urges. The funny thing is, I didn’t feel used or scarred for life.

Traveling can be an adventure and some are adventures are better than others. This adventure always brings back fond memories.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Atlanta to Johannesburg, South Africa, eighteen-and-a-half hours non-stop. On the way home, we landed on a small island off the west coast of northern Africa somewhere and were supposed to be able to get off the plane for a while to stretch. Didn't happen. Another airliner was broken down and all of their passengers were in the terminal. They didn't have room for us. So, we sat on a 747 just waiting to take off again.
Thanks, I won't even concider ging to South Africa. I havn't been on a plane since that Australia, New Zealand trip. From LA to Sidney we were on a huge plane, but lucked out and our seats both ways were the front row in the cheep seats. This allowed us to have more leg room. Little did we know the bulk head that seperated us from first class, is where they hang bassinets for babies, while in flight. There were 10 or 12 babies hanging on this wall, and they conspired I think so that at least one was crying the whole time. Once they even harmonized!!!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I won't even concider ging to South Africa. I havn't been on a plane since that Australia, New Zealand trip. From LA to Sidney we were on a huge plane, but lucked out and our seats both ways were the front row in the cheep seats. This allowed us to have more leg room. Little did we know the bulk head that seperated us from first class, is where they hang bassinets for babies, while in flight. There were 10 or 12 babies hanging on this wall, and they conspired I think so that at least one was crying the whole time. Once they even harmonized!!!

We were in the cheap seats on a 747, and a woman in the center section had two kids. One, probably around four or five and the other in a carrier. I gotta' hand it to her. She did a good job with them. You obviously cannot keep them quiet all the time, but they weren't bad at all.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were in the cheap seats on a 747, and a woman in the center section had two kids. One, probably around four or five and the other in a carrier. I gotta' hand it to her. She did a good job with them. You obviously cannot keep them quiet all the time, but they weren't bad at all.
I don't dislike kids, or babies, we thought it was funny that after thinking we hit the jack pot on seats, more leg room, this happened.WE remember our misadventures on trips better than the things that go as planned.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are sorta bland and boring with our travels, at least outside the US. furthest frpm home we had was from Socal to Jamacia for our honeymoon. 2700 miles or so. With the exception of a few places we dont have a huge desire to travel outside the US. Too much on our bucket list within North America to planning anything beyond.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Warning:This is going to be a long tale about a trip to Germany. I don’t know how to make it much shorter. Hopefully a few find it entertaining. It is a true story and one my many fond traveling memories.

Back when I was a young 24 year old, with a full head of hair, I traveled to Germany. My parents were living in a small town outside of Wurzburg, Germany. My father was employed by the Army as a social worker.

I had just finished supervising a construction job in Ohio and there was not another project lined up for the next month and the company paid my salary even in between projects, so I booked a flight for Germany for a two week stay in Germany.

At that time I did not have a place of my own and stayed in motels as my job required working in multiple states for extended periods. I had friends in McAlester, OK I stayed with in between projects.

The prior few weeks before heading to Germany, I kept thinking I would love to meet a beautiful German girl on the flight to Germany who could show me around Germany.

I had a flight for Germany out of the Tulsa airport and a connecting flight from JFK airport in NYC to Germany.

On the connecting flight at JFK, I’m sitting in the window seat of the TWA aircraft and the plane is full except for the seat next to me and another a few rows ahead. A big fat guy comes down the aisle and I’m thinking I’m going to have this fat guy next to me, crowding me all the way to Germany. Thankfully he takes the seat a few rows ahead. Then this beautiful lady dressed to the nines and at least 10 years older than me, maybe even 15 years my senior, comes down the aisle and takes the seat next to me.

This is just before Christmas and there was a snow storm that had delayed flights and we sat on the tarmac for three hours before being cleared for take- off. Needless to say, the passengers were not happy and neither were the flight attendants. It didn’t bother me at all. I had a gorgeous lady next to me and we were having a great conversation and hit it off well.

When we finally got airborne and leveled off the flight attendants announced that the drinks were on the house with no limits because of the extended delay. Before we had gotten halfway across the Atlantic, all the booze for the flight had been consumed and when they turned out the lights, this beautiful classy lady starts cuddling with me and in no time at all, we are lip locked and spent most of remaining flight off and on making out. There were a couple old ladies behind us that groaned and moaned and thought it disgusting. Myself, I didn’t care. I stayed in a perpetual state of horniness at that age and was in heaven. (some things never change)

It turns out that this lady had married an American G.I. and was originally from Germany and was going to Germany to visit her parents and sister. She lived in Alexandria, VA and had gotten divorced from the American G.I. and had done quite well in real estate owning multiple properties around the D.C. area.

She invited me to come visit her and her family who lived in a small town in Southwest Germany just across the border from France. I spent a few days with my parents then took a train across Germany to visit her and her parents. Her father spoke English fairly well. He had been captured by the Americans in North Africa his first day in the war zone and had spent most of WW2 in a prison camp in Idaho that raised potatoes and said he enjoyed his stay in America. Her mother did not speak English, but doted on me. I reminded her of a son they had lost in a car wreck. Her parents thought I was wearing a toupee and pulled my hair to make sure it was mine. Back then I had very thick hair……….. now I wonder where it all went.

I had never slept in a feather bed and they gave me a room with a feather bed. I do believe that was one of the most comfortable beds I’ve ever slept in.

I had a great time with her family and when I left her mother cried and didn’t want me to leave.

There is much more to the story, but that would be X-rated. So I will leave that to your imagination.

This lady and I corresponded by letter a few times and then I never heard from her again. I do believe I was taken advantage by an older lady simply to satisfy her urges. The funny thing is, I didn’t feel used or scarred for life.

Traveling can be an adventure and some are adventures are better than others. This adventure always brings back fond memories.
You go boy!!! Get some!

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thread on who has lived in Oklahoma their entire life got me to thinking. The only time I have lived outside Oklahoma was when I was in the service. I believe even then I was considered "resident" of Oklahoma, so would that mean I had lived here my whole life, or not?

I also got to wondering how far some have traveled from home.

For me it was South Vietnam when I was playing hide and seek with some of Uncle Ho's neices and nephews.
I went to Taiwan for two weeks in 1998.

Latest posts

Top Bottom