Where have you gone that is the farthest from home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It does show up in all kinds of places for a long time afterwards. The gift that keeps giving I suppose.
He was in the first war in the gulf and was an MP. He said the Iraqis were surrendering to 1 GI in the thousands. He said he alone on one terrace and another MP on a terrace about 500 yards away watched over 3 thousand POW's that were gentle as lambs after 30 some odd days of pounding by air.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was there long after the GW but I did get to see the Highway of Death. Everything is still there as far as I could tell, just as the Iraqi’s and Kuwaiti’s left it. The satellite and radar stations as well as most buildings I saw were pock marked with bullet holes or larger. The Kuwaitis seem to not care about rebuilding their country. Saw several vehicles that broke down that were just left in the desert. Mercedes, BMW, you name it. Inshallah, I guess.

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is another interesting one to me....kind of goes hand in hand with people who are "lifers" in the state they're born.
I had a buddy in Waco, TX who had never been further from home than Dallas (that's only about 90 miles). To me, that's pretty sad that he hadn't experienced anything except that little bitty slice of the earth.
I talked him into a road trip once, and our destination was Indianapolis for a Monster Mopar Weekend but while on the trip we took a "detour" to Detroit for the Walter P Chrysler Museum before it closed and Dayton for the Air Force Museum. Anywho, that's the most of the "world" he has ever seen, that 5 days on a road trip with me. Before we left, he was asking what he needed to get to be able to leave Texas. I was confused, and I guess he was under the impression you needed a passport to leave the state.

Another friend from Waco who is a few years my senior had never been further than Galveston. I took him and his daughter on a road trip to Myrtle Beach as neither of them had ever been out of state. After that his daughter kept asking when the next road trip was. One of my favorite pictures I ever took was of us driving through the Smokey Mountains and both of them glued to the windows looking at the scenery. Her idea of "mountains" was the Texas Hill Country, and when we got to Myrtle Beach she was in shock of the water because she was used to Galvestons brown water.

People need to get out and experience what's out there a little bit. I've not been a world traveler but I've at least all over the USA.
Hell no.
Okies have no idea how good they have it.
Everything you need to love a happy life is right here.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was there long after the GW but I did get to see the Highway of Death. Everything is still there as far as I could tell, just as the Iraqi’s and Kuwaiti’s left it. The satellite and radar stations as well as most buildings I saw were pock marked with bullet holes or larger. The Kuwaitis seem to not care about rebuilding their country. Saw several vehicles that broke down that were just left in the desert. Mercedes, BMW, you name it. Inshallah, I guess.
A friend of mine said the country is so wealthy they give money to everybody. He said if their Rolls Royce gets a flat, they abandon it and buy a new one. It's just a way of life. He said the rich kids buy supercars and race them wherever they want to and kill themselves. Then they have an all out funeral and the next kid in line does the same thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom