Where have you gone that is the farthest from home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Bangkok Thailand; in 1987 my wife and I won the Grand Prize at the Tulsa State Fair which was an all expense paid trip to Hong Kong and Bangkok. We bought custom made suits, dresses, hookers (JK) and jewels while on the trip. I really liked Bangkok while Hong Kong was just a Chinese New York City (where I grew up).

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yekaterinburg, Russia on the Asian Continent part of Russia - for work after a Russian company bought our company (I went to Russia 4 different times). Yekaterinburg was interesting, but I enjoyed Stalingrad/Volgograd the most (probably because we did a little sight seeing at monuments to the Battle of Stalingrad). Got to see the changing of the guard at a monument to the Hero's of Stalingrad and the grave of the famous Russian Army sniper Vasily Zaitsev (Enemy At The Gates).

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me, it was either Mombasa, Kenya, or Perth' Australia; depending on where you measure from. Mombasa was in 1975, when I was on the USS Enterprise, and Perth was in 1981, when I was on the USS Kitty Hawk.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a really good friend who moved to Hong Kong several years ago. His wife is from there and they wanted their daughter to have a blended education from HK and from the States. My now wife and I went a few years ago for Thanksgiving because flights are a little cheaper and we had the time off. I thoroughly enjoyed it there but am not sure I would be happy living there. The plan was to take the kids back with us last year now that our daughter is old enough to ride out the 17.5h flight from DFW to HK, but COVID kind of killed that. It will probably be several more years before the opportunity comes up again.

We did take the kids on a road trip starting in Dublin on St Pattys. From there we drove up to Belfast and saw where the Titanic was built, across to Edinburgh, down to London, and back to Dublin to fly back home. That was a hell of a trip. I also did a trip with a group I had never met when I was 14 and spent 10 days in Belgium and France on a student ambassador type thing.

There isnt really another country I would want to live in, but I do enjoy spending time abroad and showing the kids as many different ways of life as we can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom