where should I get training?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where would you go for training?

• TDSA

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Shooting-performance

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So Ive decided I need training more than a new gun. Ive been eyeing TDSA with Marshall Luton for a while now, and see he has scheduled more AP1 classes for this year. A buddy of my in Chicago has mentioned another trainer in my area who is a well known instructor here in Ok, Mike Seeklander from shooting-performance. Ive been researching them both and seems like it would be a win to train with either one. So who do I go to? I dont see any classes posted by Mike that are coming up in Ok this year, so that might just answer my question.

Im thinking maybe go with TDSA for training and buy Seeklanders training materials.

Who did you go to?
Were you satisfied?
Who else would you recommend in the Tulsa area to train with?

Am I over thinking this? Im sure both these guys will make me a better shooter. I just want to make sure I get the biggest bang for the buck.

I am wanting defensive pistol training at the moment, with the intention of taking a carbine/ pistol 2 course within a year.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never taken a class with TDSA but I know folks who have and they were very happy with the course and instruction. I had all of Mike Seeklander's books until I gave them to tRidiot to use. If you do the work that Mike's books suggest you will see a DEFINITE improvement in your gun handling and shot placement skills.

The single most effective thing I did was to get off my butt and get out to a USPSA match. They are a lot of fun and you will improve so fast it will amaze you. USPSA is not defensive pistol training, but it is "training" in how to handle your pistol in a variety of situations. You will become a more confident gun-handler and that is valuable in and of itself.

Enjoy yourself!! Shooting competitively is GREAT fun ... and just remember -- every single person out there, no matter how well they happen to perform the day you see them shoot, was the "new guy in the box" at one point in time.

repete34

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both options listed will serve you well.

Look at each and determine which teaching style would be better for your personality. We are all unique individuals. Both of the listed instructor can teach you. You will respond to each teaching style differently. Pick the instructor who's teaching style best matches your personality. You will hear more of the information from that instructor and as a result get the most out of the class. I again say both are capable instructors and you will learn from either. You will learn the most from the one that matches your personality traits.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Come on down to OKC and spend a Sunday evening with Will at H&H....

Quality learning in a friendly environment...and they don't ask a half week's wages for a 16 hours of training.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both options listed will serve you well.

Look at each and determine which teaching style would be better for your personality. We are all unique individuals. Both of the listed instructor can teach you. You will respond to each teaching style differently. Pick the instructor who's teaching style best matches your personality. You will hear more of the information from that instructor and as a result get the most out of the class. I again say both are capable instructors and you will learn from either. You will learn the most from the one that matches your personality traits.

This is REALLY good advice. I took a class from an instructor in OKC years ago. I got absolutely nothing from the class except pissed off. No, I don't need to tell anyone who it was because I spoke to the instructor about what happened with one of his assistants, how I felt about what I considered to be unsafe gun handling practices by him and his "staff" and that I was really disappointed, given the fact that he came very highly recommended.

Not every one responds to, or likes, every instructor. It is worth it to spend a little money to find an instructor or group of instructors that you can get the most from. Believe it or not, that is not always the most popular instructor out there. The guy I had the bad experience with is still teaching and gets rave reviews from nearly everyone who takes his classes.

Some of the best instruction I got was given to me free of charge, at the range and at matches I shot, from guys who were willing to share their knowledge and love of shooting with a rank newbie who was just excited to be standing on the same range as them.

You have to do a little searching around sometimes but it is worth it.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im getting some good advice here, thanks. I looked at Will Andrews website. I like how he breaks down the training into different sections and makes the prices easier to explain to the wifey....lol. I hate driving to OKC but the wife loves going to the temple there, I will definitely keep this an option.

Im a little intimidated of the competition places like USPSA/ IDPA. Maybe after some training ill show my face there.

Repete34 I understand what you are saying about personality and teaching styles, I didnt take that into account before. Maybe ill try to get them on the phone and see how that goes first. Thanks again for the advice OSA.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of the above. don't just get training from one source. Going to different schools/instructors will give you exposure do different styles. Some you may not like. others you will. However, you will learn what works better for you and what doesn't.

That and firearms training is just down right fun. Well until you get into courses like ECQC and other force on force training. Then its a dimented sort of fun.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't be intimidated. I had only been shooting a gun about 30 DAYS when I shot my first USPSA match. It's like having a baby. If you wait until you are "ready" you'll kick yourself for not having done it sooner. Not only because of the fun factor, but because of how much faster your shooting will her better.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not handgun training, but come to an Appleseed event! I'm going to my second event in October in Norman. Cheapest training you'll find, and fun as hell. Hopefully I'll get my patch this time!

pbaumei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TDSA is the way to go in t-town. I've been privileged to have trained with the military (navy and army) police, SWAT, MIG, various 3 letter agencies, foreign military, etc... and various paid shooting courses. Marshall is top notch in tulsa. You won't be disappointed. I've seen and trained in classes that cost 4-5x the price and were not half as good. A great walk to run weekend. If only he offered a four day class, that would be even better. I traveled half way across the country to train with him, and likely will again, but I'm just sayin' Marshall... It's a lot like beer, women, mags or rum... 2 is fun, but 4 is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom