Where the quality hunting gear at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m tired of buy crap gear. Bags and such specifically. Range bags that rip, handles that rip on gun cases. Hunting vests that fray and fall apart after a few years. A year after you buy your sweet new hunting outfit you have a torn pocket on your pants and a ripped shoulder, brighter of which are worth repairing on your made in China textiles.
Where’s the good stuff at? While I don’t have an unlimited budget, I think that over time paying a premium for gear with pay off. I see British guys who go out and buy tailored shooting jackets and hunting apparel that lasts a lifetime. I read about a magazine editor who still hunts wearing his grandfathers woolrich trousers. Where’s the handmade canvas and leather shooting bags that my kids or grandkids will fight over when I’m gone? Where’s the wool, tweed, canvas, brass buckles, and rivets? Where’s the handmade quality?

Im specifically looking for clothes, a shot shell box carrier, a shooting/range bag, a rifle/shotgun sleeve or two, a game/field bag, an upland hunting vest, maybe even a gear bag/duffle. I don’t need molle loops, tactical iPad sleeves, or 20,000 plastic buckles. I’m also open to suggestions as to craftsmen I could get in touch with to have this sort of stuff made. I don’t need to buy it immediately or all at once, I don’t have the funds to. But if I could slowly have my own “kit” made up, I think it would be a worthy lifelong investment.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you checked out Duluth Trading? AFAIK, they have a pretty good rep for quality.

Older brand names like Carhartt for coveralls and such might be worth a try.

Luck. :drunk2:
___
I can only speak for Duluth’s underwear, but they’re top notch. Like I said earlier about quality, they ain’t cheap.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check overunderclothing.com

they claim all of their canvas and leather is American sourced. I assumed the products are crafted here as well. They have decent stuff.

boytharness makes some sturdy stuff as well. Not sure your kids will be fighting over it but I have a few of there gun cases. A couple pistol cases and two rifle cases. They have held up well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know if they are still made but Carhart made a top notch upland shooting vest with front loading pockets I've used for over 30 years now.
There are high end products like your looking for still produced, but like retrieverman said, they won't be cheap.
I'd look at some of the trap shooting forums for shell holders and maybe investigate some overseas buying.
@Cowcatcher that hasn't been on here lately was getting into leather stuff heavily and doing some great work.
Some posts on ShotgunWorld.com could bring in some Ideas. Some of those folks deal in high end upland hunting gear.
Sadly even some of the most high end sporting goods are built in China.
I recently bought an Orvis fly reel that made me blink a few times looking at the price, but it was all hand machined and I wanted it after reading reviews for a week.
Made in China.
You might look at Great Britain online for some gear. They are very traditional in the past, but who knows now.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you checked out Duluth Trading? AFAIK, they have a pretty good rep for quality.

Older brand names like Carhartt for coveralls and such might be worth a try.

Luck. :drunk2:
___

I can only speak for Duluth’s underwear, but they’re top notch. Like I said earlier about quality, they ain’t cheap.

I have some Duluth stuff. I really like their long t shirts, they feel great and fit perfect, but tend to develop holes or fray really easy. Their jackets are great though, and the Alaskan pants they make are pretty good. once I wear out my current underwear collection I intend on giving theirs a try.

Don't know if they are still made but Carhart made a top notch upland shooting vest with front loading pockets I've use for over 30 years now.
There are high end products like your looking for still produced, but like retrieverman said, they won't be cheap.
I'd look at some of the trap shooting forums for shell holders and maybe investigate some overseas buying.
@Cowcatcher that hasn't been on here lately was getting into leather stuff heavily and doing some great work.
Some posts on ShotgunWorld.com could bring in some Ideas. Some of those folks deal in high end upland hunting gear.
I recently bought an Orvis fly reel that made me blink a few times looking at the price, but it was all hand machined and I wanted it after reading reviews for a week.
Made in China.
You might look at Great Britain online for some gear. They are very traditional in the past, but who knows now.
I’ll give Carhart a look, I’ve had great luck with their jackets and bibs as work clothes.
I looked at some stuff from GB, was having a hard time finding bags and such, but the clothes are pretty snazzy. Kinda wish I could get away with wearing it, but I feel like if I dressed like this I would either get laughed out of town or shot, haha. Probably not the best for sneaking around by myself trying to get a hog in 90 degree weather too.
4BD0636A-0D60-4FA9-ADC5-B5D37FD20DB3.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Duluth stuff. I really like their long t shirts, they feel great and fit perfect, but tend to develop holes or fray really easy. Their jackets are great though, and the Alaskan pants they make are pretty good. once I wear out my current underwear collection I intend on giving theirs a try.

I’ll give Carhart a look, I’ve had great luck with their jackets and bibs as work clothes.
I looked at some stuff from GB, was having a hard time finding bags and such, but the clothes are pretty snazzy. Kinda wish I could get away with wearing it, but I feel like if I dressed like this I would either get laughed out of town or shot, haha. Probably not the best for sneaking around by myself trying to get a hog in 90 degree weather too.
View attachment 228774
Those knickers would look great on you! :laugh6:
Some of the other shooting accessories like this upland vest might be OK?
1634529356778.png

1634529433088.png

1634529513190.png

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if they are still made but Carhart made a top notch upland shooting vest with front loading pockets I've used for over 30 years now.
Made in China.
I think I have the same Carhartt upland vest as you, and I’m pretty sure they haven’t made those since the 80’s or early 90’s. There are some listed on eBay but are price at close to $200.😲

Latest posts

Top Bottom