Where to find Black Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpcullen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever used the kik powder? I'm wanting a decent powder for loading 45-70 .45 long colt and it's the least expensive. Also not to beat a horse I'm sure is already dead but powder has really gotten expensive:)

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have you ever used the kik powder? I'm wanting a decent powder for loading 45-70 .45 long colt and it's the least expensive. Also not to beat a horse I'm sure is already dead but powder has really gotten expensive:)

The only issue with the KIK is that it only comes in F1 and F3. F3 would do OK for the .45LC, but I would rather burn F2 in the rifle. I use F2 in my Zouave and .50 Long rifle along with F4 for priming pan, and F3 in my handguns.

Expensive? Yes. Yet its what we have to pay to shoot real guns!!

lpcullen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I didn't look close enough, thanks for the heads up. I would definitely want 2F for the rifles. I guess I'll have to go with the goex. I like to shoot black powder cartridge rifles like trapdoors and martinis. Also hunt with my .577 Enfield though i haven't ever gotten a deer with it yet. Maybe next year. Thanks again for your help and all the info.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess I didn't look close enough, thanks for the heads up. I would definitely want 2F for the rifles. I guess I'll have to go with the goex. I like to shoot black powder cartridge rifles like trapdoors and martinis. Also hunt with my .577 Enfield though i haven't ever gotten a deer with it yet. Maybe next year. Thanks again for your help and all the info.

To bad your so far away, we could get together an smoke up the range.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I also purchase all my powder from PowderInc. I order it 25 lbs at a time. With the hazmat figured in on that quanity its still cheap. I shoot a 45-90 and a 40-65, you eat the powder up quickley with em.

Michael

lpcullen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I'm going to do. It seems pretty reasonable and if I split the 25 lbs with a buddy I'll still have enough to last for quite some time. A couple of years ago I went to Pond creek pheasant hunting. I'd never seen anything like the number of birds there. It was a lot of fun!

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's what I'm going to do. It seems pretty reasonable and if I split the 25 lbs with a buddy I'll still have enough to last for quite some time. A couple of years ago I went to Pond creek pheasant hunting. I'd never seen anything like the number of birds there. It was a lot of fun!

It might not last as long as you think. I go through atleast a pound of powder each time at the range feeding my 45-90 and 40-65.

Michael

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It might not last as long as you think. I go through atleast a pound of powder each time at the range feeding my 45-90 and 40-65.

Michael

Yeah, those long cartridges will eat up your supply fast. I'll stick with my frontloaders, last's a little longer. Not knocking them, they are fun, actually anything blackpowder is fun!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom