Where to land, which county?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as the "raw land" part of your comment, many ranches are bought by the acre. Any "improvements" are just icing on the cake. This doesn't make much sense but it's true. Now, I'd say 160 is small enough that what I'm saying won't matter but just a lil FYI

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
^^^^^ Agreed, 160 acres down this way can be had for 1500-1750 an acre, dry, flat and raw. Can't run livestock less ya bring in water, but can be great for farmers. Add a few GOOD ponds that stay wet and more than a 1/2 section and the price goes up pretty quick. Just had a fellas section east of me a couple miles sell for 2.4M that is 3750 an acre for 640 acres. But again, finding it all together can be tough these days..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
320 acres in my neck of the woods with river frontage and a pivot for irrigation went for a million five last year. One mile from my river place.
The guy that bought it did so for the 1/2 mile of woods along the river to deer hunt. The woods are 300 yards deep. The deer hunting is piss poor. The neighbors on both sides of the river shoot everything with a spike coming out of its head. I haven't hunted it in years.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I was incorrect in my terminologyusing the "raw land" comment. The land I want will be at least 2/3rds or more fully wooded, hopefully with mature oak. Live water would be great but ponds are acceptable too. THe property will be our residence as well as our hunting land. Funny about the thread earlier this week about bee keeping as that is one hobby she wants to get into. We will have some live stock and chickens and other fowl.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I was incorrect in my terminologyusing the "raw land" comment. The land I want will be at least 2/3rds or more fully wooded, hopefully with mature oak. Live water would be great but ponds are acceptable too. THe property will be our residence as well as our hunting land. Funny about the thread earlier this week about bee keeping as that is one hobby she wants to get into. We will have some live stock and chickens and other fowl.
Deer don't need water in ponds or streams to survive. They get their water from browse. Does with fawn need water to make milk though.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that, Dennis. I like the water aspect for any of my properties as I think it can be helpful in certain situations or circumstances and I think it absolutely adds value to the land. Live water or a well establish larger pond/s, small lake are what I'm after.

Oh yeah, my wife is also wanting a goat or two and we are both sort of wanting a donkey/burro. Haven't done a ton of research on them but have heard they can make a good "alarm" for unannounced visitors to the property and can be pretty loyal animals.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand that, Dennis. I like the water aspect for any of my properties as I think it can be helpful in certain situations or circumstances and I think it absolutely adds value to the land. Live water or a well establish larger pond/s, small lake are what I'm after.

Oh yeah, my wife is also wanting a goat or two and we are both sort of wanting a donkey/burro. Haven't done a ton of research on them but have heard they can make a good "alarm" for unannounced visitors to the property and can be pretty loyal animals.

Guineas make excellent alarms as well. Donkey's need to be fed more, however, I've heard that if one has some cattle, a Donkey or Llama with the herd spooks away coyotes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom