Where to start looking for hogs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone here hunt hogs on public land here?
I could use a little guidance on somewhere to start pursuing them. I habe spent alot of time on a few wmas over the last 2 years that people have pointed me to, and I have never seen a hog nor any signs of them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Under pressure they mostly go nocturnal which is why WMA's are tough to find them on.
It's illegal to hunt hogs on Kaw and a couple of other WMA's around the state. The Feds are using them for experimental methods to eliminate or reduce the population from them from those locations from what I understand.
Daytime, they hide out in the nastiest territory out of sight.
I'm not the master hog hunter by any definition, but always thought that a driven hunt like they do in Europe might work.
Get a few folks pushing the rough territory while standers were on the other end to shoot those running through.
Just a thought that might work IMHO.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried Lexington out. There is a ton of sign down in the southwest quarter. But, I've hunted them enough there to know they're nocturnal. I've never seen a single pig there. Keep in mind that night hunting on WMAs for pigs is frowned upon.

Thunderbird has a few on the north end around hog creek. However, you may only hunt them with a bow during deer season. And there's that 80 dollar parking pass....

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
We’ve had about the same luck. Honestly now I only hunt hogs from legal hunting start-11am and from 6-7 until legal hunting end. Anything between I typically spend fishing. Especially during the summer. They just aren’t going to be out during the day on public land.

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. Seems as if hunting hogs on the WMA's may be a futile effort.
Any ideas on how to find some private ground to gain access to strictly for hogs?
I moved here back in 2019 and still don't have much of a social network so to speak.
Thanks again

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. Seems as if hunting hogs on the WMA's may be a futile effort.
Any ideas on how to find some private ground to gain access to strictly for hogs?
I moved here back in 2019 and still don't have much of a social network so to speak.
Thanks again
Its tough. you essentially have to build a relationship with people and get invited. Ive wanted to go after hogs on private land for years, it wasn't until last year that I was able to make that happen, but its still spotty. I've been told by guys here that you just gotta go out and hang out in diners or grain coops and make friends. Drink coffee, become memorable, buy some cups of coffee for some people. It's yet to work out for me, but the logic is there. I would have a hard time inviting a stranger to stomp around my land shooting guns; but would be much more likely to invite a friend or decent acquaintance.

teebig

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hogs are going to be close to water. So I'd start by pulling out a map and going to WMA areas that are relatively close to water sources whether that's a river or pond or whatever. Then i'd look for a food source and cover. We generally find them bedded down during the day in thick brush. If you're able to find some signs (even if it's old signs) then at least you know you're on the right track and in the vicinity. Something else is just following wildlife trails. Most animals don't veer too far off those trails. Idk how much you know about hog hunting but this article may be worth reading for you to get a little background on hog hunting: https://outriggeroutdoors.com/blogs/night-hunting/hog-hunting-the-hunters-guide

Public land hog hunting is definitely harder than private land primarily because you can bait on private land but it's still possible to spot and stalk hogs on public land. You just have to really understand how to read the terrain and locate them. I know certain areas we hunt are really good only when we get some rain. If it's dry, those areas don't work. So I would say top priority is finding areas near a water source. Hogs don't have sweat glands so they have to wallow in mud to cool off. Obviously right now isn't a big deal for cooling but I think you get what I mean.

Long winded answer but hope it helped.

Latest posts

Top Bottom