Where to start? Reloading by a newbie.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I am starting to get into reloading and want to focus on one caliber to start. I am unsure which caliber would be the easiest for a newbie like myself with the calibers I own. I want to focus on sone rifles I haven't been able to shoot. I have two Winchester Model 94's chambered in 32 Winchester Special which i would love to shoot someday but hard to find ammo, I own two Marlins chambered in 35 Remington and 375 Winchester, i have Model 71 Winchester in 348 Winchester that would be a dandy to hunt with. I have a custom made 35 Whelen and 7×57 Mauser I want to hunt with. I also have a 270 Winchester but i can find ammo easily. I have several other rifles but they are modern and easy to find ammo for aswell. Which would be the easiest to start loading for from the above referenced calibers?

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
None of the calibers you mentioned are likely to be more difficult than any other. The issue will be finding components for the more obscure rounds. Of the ones you listed, probably the 35 Remington will be the easiest find brass and bullets and dies for. If you can, try to find a mentor. If you are in the Tulsa area, feel free to hit me up.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are really going to drop in to the handloading forget the class you do not really need it.
Yes it may be a faster track to get there but a loading manual is AWESOME!

Lyman 49TH load manual covers everything if you read it.
It covers casting also.
Now it does not talk about powder coating..

Then get a Lee die set and read the instructions on it.
I like Lee stuff and 90% of my stuff is Lee.
I Love my cast iron Lee classic single stage press.
Yes it takes longer but I really like the ammo I get from it.

Get a book and read it and you will begin to understand.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had no one teach me but I did get a Lee classic reloader and it really got the basics down.

Classic Lee Loader​

For over 60 years, more shooters have chosen the famous Lee Loader for their first reloading tool than any other. They realize it is all they need for good, accurate ammunition. In fact, at one time ammunition loaded with a Lee Loader held a world record listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for more than seven years. Millions upon millions of rounds have been reloaded with the famous Lee Loader, and we expect it will continue to be a popular reloader for many years to come. It's the perfect tool for those who wish to simply try reloading, because it will pay for itself in just an hour or so.
The Lee Loader neck sizes only, use only with brass fired through your gun. You can reload a round in 30 seconds.
Find out for yourself how much fun it is to reload with the Lee Loader. Everything you need to begin loading one caliber and you'll save enough to pay for it in the first hour!

1672103399785.png

You will need a hammer and bullets primers and powder along with your brass though.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I am in the Tulsa area! I was looking to see if places had reloading classes but no luck in finding any.
Jerry’s Outdoors has offered classes in the past, don’t know if they still do. There are a lot of good YouTube videos available as well. As mentioned before, a good reloading Manual is a great first buy.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another way to reload inexpensively.

I have reloaded thousands of rounds with this item. Handy to take to the range or woods. Loads ammo as accurate as expensive setups, if one does all the proper case prep, etc. Also get to exercise muscles! I think it also offers great tactile feel for all the steps, such a seating bullets, etc.

Each to his own. But an inexpensive way to start reloading.

As swampratt says: read some manuals or hook up with someone who already reloads.

There are also some great YouTube videos and some not so great. After watching a few, one can sort out the good from the ignorant.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had no one teach me but I did get a Lee classic reloader and it really got the basics down.

Classic Lee Loader​

For over 60 years, more shooters have chosen the famous Lee Loader for their first reloading tool than any other. They realize it is all they need for good, accurate ammunition. In fact, at one time ammunition loaded with a Lee Loader held a world record listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for more than seven years. Millions upon millions of rounds have been reloaded with the famous Lee Loader, and we expect it will continue to be a popular reloader for many years to come. It's the perfect tool for those who wish to simply try reloading, because it will pay for itself in just an hour or so.
The Lee Loader neck sizes only, use only with brass fired through your gun. You can reload a round in 30 seconds.
Find out for yourself how much fun it is to reload with the Lee Loader. Everything you need to begin loading one caliber and you'll save enough to pay for it in the first hour!

View attachment 332927

You will need a hammer and bullets primers and powder along with your brass though.
I started with one of these 20 years ago & still use one on occasion. I think it's a great tool & plenty of YouTube videos on how to use it

Latest posts

Top Bottom