Where's your best place to live and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma flat lands, with a creek running through it. No people anywhere close. Swimming pool, hottub, and runway (for the occasional Las Vegas run). No phone; if anybody wants to get ahold of me send a letter.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
One of these two places would suit me and mine just fine. Orange Beach AL. or Clearwater Beach FL. World Class fishing offshore and inland waterways along with some of the best pleasure boating in the world.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would live out here in south east Shawnee/Earlsboro like I have almost my whole life. I don’t ever want to live anywhere else. Now if I had the money I would buy the 300 acres for sale for 1.8 million down the road. That is my dream. I don’t care if I live in a trailer if I could have that much land. I love our state and will never leave until I die or Christ returns.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After Panama between the Army and working as a civilian advisor I spent pretty close to six years in Vietnam (2-69 thru 11-74).......then after VN it was on to Libya and after that Indonesia for several more years between the two before finally putting my suitcases in the attic and settling down here in Norman in 81'.

Trust me after traveling and living abroad for quite a few years I found there is absolutely no place better or that even compares to what we have here in the U.S.A. and I love Oklahoma but if it weren't for what I assume is still subpar medical care compared to here and other western countries (which let's face it I will need more and more of as I get even older) I'd return to VN and live out my remaining time on earth there living in some smaller town far away from the hustle and bustle of the crowded cities like Saigon and Hanoi.

Another downside besides quality medical care, with me being a gun owner all my life, is that private gun ownership would be out of the question in VN although I have seen references on expat forums that mention there are a couple of places now in country that cater to westerners where you can trap and skeet shoot by renting their guns and ammo.......I'm sure in a smaller town where I'd want to settle that wouldn't be an option.

Closer to home I'd like to have a couple hundred acres minimum down in the southeastern part of the state where I could hunt, shoot and fish anytime I pleased.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A rural area (with good cell service), couple hundred yards from the entrance to 500 partially wooded, sandy loam acres. Within 1/2 hour drive of a small town (pop 20k-30k). The small house we have now would be sufficient in size and layout. Oklahoma is ok by me.

Our current location isn't bad. Summers can be a bit warm, but winters are not usually harsh. I hate change, so having two homes doesn't appeal to me very much.

In reality, even if I won the lottery, I probably wouldn't move. Might try to buy out all the neighbors though...
:drunk2:

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We lived in Houston for 10 years and left for three reasons...ridiculous traffic, oppressive heat/humidity, and year around mosquitos. We could have moved anywhere, Decided to return to Oklahoma, here we have 4 seasons, nice people, reasonable cost of living, low taxes, and family.

places like Tulsa have everything a large city does and very few of the negatives.

We tried Houston, but only made it 10 months, not years.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sitka, Alaska. It’s in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Really anywhere in southeast Alaska between Haines to Ketchikan. Once you go and visit you’ll understand what draws people back.
We took an Alaskan cruise a few years ago and stopped in Sitka, it is indeed beautiful. Some of the towns run together from our stops, but Sitka has a dormant volcano nearby, right? Heard a funny story about some helicopter pilots who dumped some old tires on top of the volcano and decided to burn them, residents in Sitka saw the thick black smoke and thought the volcano was going to erupt and evacuated the whole town. The pilots had flown on to another town, and first they heard about it was on the news. OOPS!!! :rollingla

A little trivia (that you probably know), if you've seen that Sandra Bullock movie "The Proposal" that is set in Sitka? No scenes were shot in Sitka, it was filmed in Massachusetts. They never even sniffed Sitka.

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Living here in Oklahoma is fine with me. It's home.

I wouldn't mind having a cooler place to go to during the summer though. The older I get the less tolerance I have for the heat.

To think that when I was a young man I used to frame houses in the worst of it all day long and worked in a shop that was crazy hot in the summer. Oh how things change.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eastern OK or Western AR. Love the mix of mountains, water and pasture. Give me a spread that I can raise a little meat and shoot out to 1000 yards I will be happy.

Now I did see a piece of property out in Okemah once; had about 160 acres of old river bottom land that butted up to the canadian river. The pasture land butted up to a lime stone bluff about 30' up with trees all around. I figure a guy could always do something really cool with that spread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom