Where's your best place to live and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We took an Alaskan cruise a few years ago and stopped in Sitka, it is indeed beautiful. Some of the towns run together from our stops, but Sitka has a dormant volcano nearby, right? Heard a funny story about some helicopter pilots who dumped some old tires on top of the volcano and decided to burn them, residents in Sitka saw the thick black smoke and thought the volcano was going to erupt and evacuated the whole town. The pilots had flown on to another town, and first they heard about it was on the news. OOPS!!! :rollingla

A little trivia (that you probably know), if you've seen that Sandra Bullock movie "The Proposal" that is set in Sitka? No scenes were shot in Sitka, it was filmed in Massachusetts. They never even sniffed Sitka.

Here’s the story about the April fools joke at the volcano.

https://www.sitka.com/porky/porky.htm

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sitka, Alaska. It’s in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Really anywhere in southeast Alaska between Haines to Ketchikan. Once you go and visit you’ll understand what draws people back.

It's the only place I would consider other than where I'm at now. Once the kids are gone we may get more serious about it. My wife has had a couple of opportunities to start working there over the last three years but don't want to uproot the kids at this point.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Say everything has fallen into place and you have plenty of money, your family is willing to go, if you need/want work it is available when you get there, etc. Where would you go and would it be because of climate, recreational opportunities, educational opportunities, remoteness, the view out your windows or whatever? Where would you be if you really were "living the dream"?

My priorities would be as follows:

Temperate climate
Excellent freshwater fishing
A decent shooting range located nearby
Decent roads to drive on
As little human congestion as possible

I'm not sure if such a place exists, but I'm looking for it! :)

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HA! That's a little different from how they told it, but it was probably one of those summer help tour guide guys.

I supervised a group of summer tour guides in Ketchikan in 2004. Most were college kids from the lower 48 and a few locals. We did our best to train them and teach them the basics of the tour. Wildlife, plants, ecosystem and local history. A lot to learn. I told them as long as they kept our guests engaged and entertained they were doing a good job. As I listened to their spiel over the course of the summer I could tell some of them had become quite adept at improvisation. We had the top rated tour that summer according to Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean cruise line reviews. Made good tips too!

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy who drove the bus to the glacier in Juno was especially good. Had a few good jokes and funny observations that I still remember. But all of them had at least one or two funny lines. I wouldn't mind living in Alaska, and especially just a summer job might be fun. My wife would never go though.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking at things from a different perspective, I'd say where you are is probably;y one of the better places. Sometimes you just don't know how fortunate you are to be living as you are. Millions of people would give anything to live where you are right now but they are not in the United States. Sometimes we have to leave or move to realize the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. We-meaning me-needs to be happy wherever I am.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of what we are doing now. We've lived in our RV now since Spring of 2011, so we are almost at 10 years of RV living, although we haven't been traveling all that time. After retirement, it was Colorado for 20 months, Oregon for 17 months, and Utah for 9 months. In each place, by staying for months, we had the opportunity to see a lot of beautiful country.

Right now, we are back in Oklahoma and may be here yet for at least another year. We still want to do our Summer work gig this Summer, and maybe 2022 as well. Since our work gig generally has lasted us about 3 months of the Summer, we may uproot the RV again and do some more traveling. The wife used to talk about spending time east of the Mississippi River, but after two summers of working back in that area, she has quit talking about spending "months" back there. I do still want to have a week or two to traverse the Natchez Trace Parkway. We got to see a part of it last Summer, but only in the Tennessee area of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom