Where's your best place to live and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always considered the square foot my feet are standing on as home for the most part.
Born and raised in Ok, had the option to move anywhere in the US when getting out of the military after many moves. Chose Ponca where I grew up because I had a key ring of close to 200,00 acres of hunting and pond fishing to take advantage of as well as our family land. Large family in the area.
Wife and I have had the travel bug since getting married and have visited many areas around the world for pleasure and in my case business.
I absolutely love OK but working in a Power Plant for 16 years at extreme high temperatures makes me want to find temperate climates.
If it's going to be cold, I want a rifle in my hands and fresh elk tracks in the snow in front of me.
Hot weather drives me toward cooler climates.
The RV lifestyle takes care of all the issues. We are good with that.

Last edited:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, One of my dream places to live would be outside the small town of Ennis Montana. Located in the Madison Valley in the far SW area of Montana and about 90 minutes SW of Bozeman, MT. Ennis is located on one of the best trout fisheriies in the US, the Madison River. It is an absolutely incedible area. The town of Ennis is a small cowboy town and is just a place i love. Having a nice 20 acre piece of property outside of Ennis is my dream. MOre than enough BLM and forest service land to be able to hunt and recreate on. No need to own hundreds of acres.

My brother any I already own a home on Kauai so that could be our outlet to get away from the cold. In the end we will probably always own land in OK as a home base for our life's adventures.

Madison River
upload_2021-1-24_21-6-9.png

Town of Ennis, MT
upload_2021-1-24_21-24-10.png

Place on Kauai
upload_2021-1-24_21-33-50.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, One of my dream places to live would be outside the small town of Ennis Montana. Located in the Madison Valley in the far SW area of Montana and about 90 minutes SW of Bozeman, MT. Ennis is located on one of the best trout fisheriies in the US, the Madison River. It is an absolutely incedible area. The town of Ennis is a small cowboy town and is just a place i love. Having a nice 20 acre piece of property outside of Ennis is my dream. MOre than enough BLM and forest service land to be able to hunt and recreate on. No need to own hundreds of acres.

My brother any I already own a home on Kauai so that could be our outlet to get away from the cold. In the end we will probably always own land in OK as a home base for our life's adventures.

Madison River
View attachment 190183

Town of Ennis, MT
View attachment 190184

Place on Kauai
View attachment 190185
Won't be far from there this summer. May have to throw a fly on the Madison. It's a gold medal river.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up between Dover and Kingfisher. Best people in the world. Can't throw a rock without hitting a cousin.
Farmed red dirt all my grade school and high school days. I went to bigger cities and work made me travel a bit. I really enjoyed 60 degree weather in Canaduh in summer. I hate muggy hot weather but as long as the wind is blowing I'm OK with it.
Winter and spring are my favorite seasons. There is nothing like walking outside on a crisp Winter morning and firing off a gun listening to the echo. After the white snow in winter I really like all the green that comes up and covers the landscape. Fall is beautiful in OK but for some reason I have always considered it messy with all the mud and leaves everywhere.

Wifey hates cold weather and wants the exact opposite. She loves "balmy breezes" and would love to move to Hawaii. She has been there twice on vacation to my once. I did enjoy it but 80 degrees plus or minus 15 degrees would get too depressing for me after awhile. I think we could both agree on Phoenix or Flagstaff AZ because it is close to our son and it's a "dry heat".

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The outskirts of Asheville NC

Liberal as it has become, it’s still my favorite place on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do like it too. Great food, weird vibe. Was strange to have intersections with mirrors. South West of there is even more gorgeous, Lake Toxaway, the Highlands... A good spread 30-60 minutes from Asheville would be hard to beat though.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up on Long Beach Island, NJ, back in the 60s and early 70s. When I joined the Navy, I opted for Whidbey Island, WA instead of what we used to call "NAS Backyard." I lived there for ten years and loved it. Then I spent three years in Kingsville, TX, two years in Springfield, MO after I got out of the Navy, moved back to South Jersey from 1989 to 2004, then landed here in Broken Arrow until 2018 and Tulsa since then.

I could never move back to New Jersey. Even if the Democrats hadn't ruined the state, the number of people moving onto Long Beach Island and tearing down classic older homes to build "McMansions" has destroyed the island of my youth. Washington State has been similarly ruined by liberal politics. That leaves Missouri, Texas, and Oklahoma. Of the three, I wouldn't change my current state of residence. I love Oklahoma. If I was forced to relocate, I'd consider S. Dakota (maybe either Dakota,) Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Born & raised in North Texas (Grayson County), married Sweetie in '75 (I was 18) and we moved to Madill about 3 months later. Built this house (Southern Marshall County) in '76.

Looks like we're here to stay...
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom