Whew! Cleaned 29 Magazines...some down; more to go...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never cleaned my glock mags. Ever. I did clean my 22/45 mags the other day for the first time ever. But I cheated with a sonic cleaner as well. If I didnt have that I wouldnt have cleaned them. I hate cleaning guns.
I rarely clean my mags and have zero mag failures in my competition guns. I hate watching the people at the back of the match cleaning mags after every stage. Its not necessary and they are using it for a crutch to not go down range and tape targets and reset steel.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I clean my mags by heating up the ultrasonic cleaner dumping them in for 20 minutes. Spraying them with oil and let them drip on a paper towel. In todays modern world using brushes and q-tips is like a rotary land line phone

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I clean my mags by heating up the ultrasonic cleaner dumping them in for 20 minutes. Spraying them with oil and let them drip on a paper towel. In todays modern world using brushes and q-tips is like a rotary land line phone

Thanks a lot Pal. Remember that not all of us have ultrasonic cleaners we can just heat up. I guess for you rich guys, it's just another cool toy to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I wish I had an Ultrasonic cleaner in the Military, spent way too many hours cleaning my m16's/M4's and M9's with Q-Tips and a toothbrush. Heck, I thought the solvent tank was the best thing since powdered peanut butter!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is some advice......when using the ultrasonic cleaner.....DO NOT put blued guns in there when some lemishine has been added.
The citric acid is not friendly to the bluing. I have an M&P that has the "battle worn" look now after one session.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't always break them down and clean them as well as I should, but I just finished cleaning 29 really dirty mags! Seriously, after a range trip, I always do clean up around the top; wipe inside the feed lips, top and edges of the followers, and a light wipe down, but tear them all the way down and scrub the innards? Not so often. I did like 10 1911 mags, 10 Glock mags, and the rest were just assorted. I just use Q-tips, a bottle brush, old toothbrush, rags, isopropyl alcohol, sometimes a little Hoppes #9, and a really cool Glock pencil to push the rags down in the mag bodies. It's amazing what a large amount of crud can accumulate in your mags if you let the chore slide for long. I have a few (bazillion) more to clean, so I better go get back on it. Do you ever feel guilty about not cleaning your mags? Well, then get after it!

Wow! You dare have a USMC cap avatar and dirty mags? Somewhere there is a Marine Armorer crying! just kidding of course

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! You dare have a USMC cap avatar and dirty mags? Somewhere there is a Marine Armorer crying! just kidding of course

Shhhh! If my old D.I. found out; he'd probably hunt me down!

Edited: And make me do Bends and Thrusts until HE gets tired.

Last edited:

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I rarely clean my mags and have zero mag failures in my competition guns. I hate watching the people at the back of the match cleaning mags after every stage. Its not necessary and they are using it for a crutch to not go down range and tape targets and reset steel.

Yup 100% on the excuse for not taping.
Once every 4 months I'll scrape my mags with the Arredondo brush BEFORE a match and won't mess with them anymore.
I usually get called to run a squad anyways so I can't make B.S. excuses to not help reset

Latest posts

Top Bottom