Whew! Grinding Wheat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the Grandkids and I ground some premium wheat berries with a Wondermill Jr. and what a workout. Won't have to worry about excess pounds from eating the bread, I burned up all the calories just turning the crank. I think I'm going to look at getting an electric one if I keep grinding my own wheat. It does work well, but takes lots of effort. In the prepping mode, I will either go to wind or water power to turn the darn thing...

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad dug out an old hand crank mill (75+ years old I bet ) and ground some wheat from harvest this year . Said was coarse but made bread I guess. It didn't take him long to motorize it though

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had to use this in a shtf situation, I would be looking at a bicycle or wind or water power to run it. But as long as we have power, I think this is the next purchase I'm going to make. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UI37N8...UTF8&colid=2EFO4J2RO5SUH&coliid=ISIIW1V8UXKOU Of all the powered grinders I have looked at, this one seems to be the best choice. I will probably get one of these so I can more easily follow my diet restrictions. The bicycle idea would sure help cut calories through exercise. Might want to reserve the bicycle for generating power.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you cook the wheat berries in water they about double in size and weight and become quite edible with a slight nutty flavor. My wife has learned to add them to just about any dish she cooks. For instance, she'll add them to her meatloaf and cut back on the meat. Which not only saves money, but actually increases the nutritional value of the meal. You can also toast them in the oven for a great tasting snack. To me, they taste like corn nuts without all the spices and salts. The grandkids love them.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're cooked before using them. You bring a pan of water to a boil, with a little salt added, then turn down the heat to a simmer for about an hour. You can shorten cooking time by presoaking if you want to. They last about a week in the fridge after being cooked.

We've bought most of our berries from the Oklahoma Food Coop.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Curious where you get your wheat? From the store, field?

Here is where I bought the bag we are working on now, I know it is available much cheaper but I was in a hurry to get it while the Grandkids were here. http://www.amazon.com/Great-River-O...1407159839&sr=8-1&keywords=wheat+berries+bulk
Bless Amazon Prime when you really need something quick.
I will be keeping a list of sources as I find better buys in the future. Here is a link to the Oklahoma Food Coop and info about getting started with it. http://oklahomafood.coop/Display.aspx?cn=welcome

Latest posts

Top Bottom