Whew! Grinding Wheat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Red winter wheat is more common around here and is what's used mostly for breads. The white wheat varieties are mixed with reds for lighter bread types and use more in pastries.

They have hard red also for the same price, the white was just the first one I came to for the link and what I usually buy. It's been my understanding that there wasn't much difference between hard red and hard white for bread. Soft white is used for cakes and such I thought.

Yes this is why I ask, white is never seen around here. You guys know you can rinse wheat right out the combine in small amounts at a time and it won't absorb moisture to the point of spoiling. Or just rinse it before you use it. A large pile of wheat out in the rain will only spoil on the bottom where in contact with the ground. The top 80% of pile will be fine, as the water runs through pile and top just dries out. Might hit your local farmer up for a bucket or two and save your self some cash..............farmer is making from $5-$7 per bushel (60lbs/avg) to give some perspective on price. The walmart link comes out to about $35 a bushel........

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My problem is there aren't any local farmers that grow wheat. It's all cattle ranches around me. Closest wheat I know of is over 100 miles away. By the time I figure in fuel and time it's about break even at the best.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis is that wheat treated with any chemical preservative? One of the big plastic tanks I got for rainwater was used for an additive to animal feed to prevent mold growth. Sure did burn the nose when washing it out.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huh? Never seen that but does not mean it don't happen... Kill the weeds before the combine?

Kill the wheat before the combine. I've seen it a bunch driving in western Oklahoma over several years. I eventually asked someone who I know that grows wheat and he said it was pretty much standard practice. That way the wheat is all ready to be harvested at the same time.

I suppose it could possibly add to the taste (sarc).

Latest posts

Top Bottom