which .223 can for budget conscious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I purchased a Huntertown Arms Kestrel 5.56. MSRP is 500, so cheaper then all the ones mentioned before.

http://www.huntertownarms.com/k556.php

The outer tube is in two pieces, the piece closest to the gun is the registered part, so if you have a baffle strike and blow the end off you dont have to go through all the paperwork to get a new can they just replace the broken parts. Since it comes in two pieces you can run .22lr through it and clean it.

Here it is on a Ruger MK III shootin Mini Mags. If you listen you can hear the 3rd shot break the sound barrier.

[video]https://db.tt/1qhO4SGY[/video]

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget about Sooner State Pawn, they are my new place to go for NFA stuff. Their can selection and prices are the cheapest I found by far and they will really hook you up if you buy multiple cans at one time.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So based on the recommendations to get a 30 caliber can to cover both .223 and .308, is the SilencerCo SpecWar 762 a worthy purchase or a poor second (or third, or ...)?

Also, it appears that the SpecWar requires an adapter ("Trifecta RS Flash Hider Mount") to be installed on the host. Do most/all centerfire cans require an adapter or is that unique to this brand?

Spent most of my life stuck in a non-free state so I'm trying to educate myself on formerly forbidden-fruit topics.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No practical experience with the SpecWar but most major manufacturers have some sort of QD mounting system that allows quick swapping from host to host. You would need a mount for each rifle you plan to run the can on.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So based on the recommendations to get a 30 caliber can to cover both .223 and .308, is the SilencerCo SpecWar 762 a worthy purchase or a poor second (or third, or ...)?

Also, it appears that the SpecWar requires an adapter ("Trifecta RS Flash Hider Mount") to be installed on the host. Do most/all centerfire cans require an adapter or is that unique to this brand?

Spent most of my life stuck in a non-free state so I'm trying to educate myself on formerly forbidden-fruit topics.

I wouldn't get a thread-on can unless it was specifically for a bolt action precision rifle. The ease of quick detach mounts are really nice for multiple hosts and necessary of semi-autos. The SpecWar 762 would be a great choice. My first choice would be the new Silencerco Saker 762 then the AAC N-6.

cowboyweasel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't get a thread-on can unless it was specifically for a bolt action precision rifle. The ease of quick detach mounts are really nice for multiple hosts and necessary of semi-autos. The SpecWar 762 would be a great choice. My first choice would be the new Silencerco Saker 762 then the AAC N-6.

Thanks for this info!

Since I have some money that is just begging me to spend it on a can, I wanted to get a can for a 7.62x39 upper, a future .300 blackout/whisper build, maybe my CETME and my 5.56 upper. Sounds like I need to get some new QD mounts for them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom