Which Barrel Length?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go all out Dirty Harry with a 8 3/8 in a shoulder rig! 😁

It dont matter if it is a 41 mag, 44mag, or the 45 colt N frame! But skip the 357 N frame, those are just gay!

If you must have a 357 mag, get the K or the L!

Dont forget a J frame 357 for a backup! 🙂

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go all out Dirty Harry with a 8 3/8 in a shoulder rig! 😁

It dont matter if it is a 41 mag, 44mag, or the 45 colt N frame! But skip the 357 N frame, those are just gay!

If you must have a 357 mag, get the K or the L!

Dont forget a J frame 357 for a backup! 🙂
Dirty Harry would now go with a 8 3/8 sw 460, and say huh a lot after the first shot.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a 3" K in stainless is the bees knees - 38 or 357.
3K1aSM.jpg

3K1cSM.jpg

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are no 'bad' choices presented here; just choices that don't work for me. The 8" or longer tubes are examples of this, but I also believe that their posting was tongue-in-cheek.

Here is the K-frame that I carry: a 4" model 65.

thumbnail_image (1).png

The late Chic Gaylord, said that the Colt Police Positive Special was the most practical gun for over-all carry. I tend to agree with him.

img_0263-jpg.221285

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What does barrel length have to do with printing?

I have a 4" K-frame (see my avatar) and it doesn't print. I carry N-frames and they don't print. One time many moons ago, my gunsmith in Seattle had a sales clerk and when I went into the shop, he would try to spot my gun. One time I carried a 6" M-29 IWB and he didn't spot it. "Okay, Gary," he said, "where is it?"

He was shocked and somewhat amused when I lifted my shirt revealing the gun.

My point here is that printing is a result of frame size, clothing, and body type, not barrel length.

Pardon my missed inclusion: "Printing without having to dress around it".

Not much you can't carry during hockey jersey season. Try that N Frame while you're business casual and shirt tucked in.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are no 'bad' choices presented here; just choices that don't work for me. The 8" or longer tubes are examples of this, but I also believe that their posting was tongue-in-cheek.

Here is the K-frame that I carry: a 4" model 65.

View attachment 237366

The late Chic Gaylord, said that the Colt Police Positive Special was the most practical gun for over-all carry. I tend to agree with him.

img_0263-jpg.221285
What is a set of those colt grips worth?

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is a set of those colt grips worth?
I don't really know, but before you buy a pair, please be aware that that there are different grip-frame sizes for the D-frame.

The PPS pictured has the long frame while others have the short frame used on the Agent. In 1966 Colt shortened the frame and made a new style grip so that 1966 and later guns in profile look the same as the older guns.

I'll see about posting a side-by-side picture as that will make what I'm saying clear,

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really know, but before you buy a pair, please be aware that that there are different grip-frame sizes for the D-frame.

The PPS pictured has the long frame while others have the short frame used on the Agent. In 1966 Colt shortened the frame and made a new style grip so that 1966 and later guns in profile look the same as the older guns.

I'll see about posting a side-by-side picture as that will make what I'm saying clear,
I am not buying, but I have a pair lying around I'll never need!

Hopefully they are worth a fortune, I could sell them and buy some S&W wood grips that I do need!

Those S&W combats are out of this world priced...... I remember when a new set was $50......

Dumb S&W had to go and drop them from production! ☹️

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not buying, but I have a pair lying around I'll never need!

Hopefully they are worth a fortune, I could sell them and buy some S&W wood grips that I do need!

Those S&W combats are out of this world priced...... I remember when a new set was $50......

Dumb S&W had to go and drop them from production! ☹️
Here is a side-by-side picture of the two grip frames.

The one on the right was made in the late 1950s, and the one on the left was made in the 1971-1972 time frame. It took several days for the pictures to download from my iPhone.

1639012767487.png

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0431.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0431.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 19