Which cities in Oklahoma or north Texas are good for shopping for quality vintage guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in Lawton/Fort Sill area so this is a small city with not big volume of older firearms on the local market in circulation. Are major cities like OKC and DFW good hunting grounds for a great selection of older guns of interest to old-gun aficionados and even serious collectors? I don't like to shop for firearms online, just the old-fashioned way. I want to hold the gun in my hand and inspect her with a flashlight and magnifier before putting any money down. You know checking the barrel for pits and other nasty stuff. One can buy from dealers, gun shows or private classifieds sellers.

Guns that especially interest me are top-quality:

1. Colt Lawman Mark III and Trooper revolvers
2. Pre-1980 Colt Government Model 45's
3. Savage Model 99's with rotary magazine and round counter
4. Husqvarna Swedish-made bolt-action hunting rifles
5. Mossberg 500's made BEFORE 2000

Some of these guns will be tough finds and may be quite expensive when found. Most owners of cherry-primo Troopers and Savage 99's will not want part with them and understandably so. I almost puke whenever I see a Savage 99 with a scope on her on YouTube and the receiver was hacked up from drilling and tapping holes for scope mounting. The drilled holes are right through the factory SAVAGE markings on the front end of the receiver. A cardinal sin worthy of a public hanging! The young idiot in the video ought to get skinned alive. Barf bag is advise to watch following horror film! The way that old Savage was butchered with scope mounting! The evil shame of it!! :angry3:

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I lived in Waco, my buddy and I used to make the rounds in Austin and DFW area. Seems the vast majority of shops nowadays are into the latest and greatest, or only new stuff. For that reason, I really always enjoyed when we hit a Cabelas Gun Library as they had a good assortment of used quality guns. I have learned to appreciate some of the new stuff but still have my eccentric flares that require lots of hunting, and my best luck has been the used stuff at gun shows and Armslist. I've had to buy a few sight unseen (Browning 1886 .45-70 & Ruger No. 1 .458 Lott), but it seemed to work out.

Post a want ad, ya never know what'll show up!

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Lawton/Fort Sill area so this is a small city with not big volume of older firearms on the local market in circulation. Are major cities like OKC and DFW good hunting grounds for a great selection of older guns of interest to old-gun aficionados and even serious collectors? I don't like to shop for firearms online, just the old-fashioned way. I want to hold the gun in my hand and inspect her with a flashlight and magnifier before putting any money down. You know checking the barrel for pits and other nasty stuff. One can buy from dealers, gun shows or private classifieds sellers.

Guns that especially interest me are top-quality:

1. Colt Lawman Mark III and Trooper revolvers
2. Pre-1980 Colt Government Model 45's
3. Savage Model 99's with rotary magazine and round counter
4. Husqvarna Swedish-made bolt-action hunting rifles
5. Mossberg 500's made BEFORE 2000

Some of these guns will be tough finds and may be quite expensive when found. Most owners of cherry-primo Troopers and Savage 99's will not want part with them and understandably so. I almost puke whenever I see a Savage 99 with a scope on her on YouTube and the receiver was hacked up from drilling and tapping holes for scope mounting. The drilled holes are right through the factory SAVAGE markings on the front end of the receiver. A cardinal sin worthy of a public hanging! The young idiot in the video ought to get skinned alive. Barf bag is advise to watch following horror film! The way that old Savage was butchered with scope mounting! The evil shame of it!! :angry3:

This guy has his inventory online and usually has a variety of older guns in nice shape. It's in Coalgate, OK.

Oops. Forgot link. Oddduckguns.com

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom