Which direction for an ar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a project that I may be having second thoughts on. I have an ar that is an assembled lower and stripped upper, I am needing a barrel and a stock essentially to finish. My original plan was to build it in 300 blackout with a 16" barrel. I have had a few people tell me 300 isn't the best round for a 16" barrel so I'm starting to shy away.

My next option i have thought of would be a 20" 223 Wydle barrel, and make somewhat of a spr/long range build, but that opens up a new can of worms buying an optic and pretty much being tied to out door ranges.

Third possibility but I wrote it off because of the availability of mags, that is an ar chambered in 7.62x39

What says you all is there any alternatives I haven't thought of?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.223. I shoot mine at 300 yds and more all the time. Ammo is cheap, and blasting cheap ammo is really fun. Watching that steel plate bounce every what direction, and then putting in a small group on paper next to it is fun.
Buy a 1-7 barrel, put some 77 grain in the tube and shoot out to 600 or further.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
458. .22 9, 40, 45

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

458-ooooo but too rich for my blood
.22 I have a few 22 plinkers not sure if I want an ar platform one
9,40,45 I would prefer those to be in an sbr, when my stamp comes in I may build an upper and get an adapter block.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.223. I shoot mine at 300 yds and more all the time. Ammo is cheap, and blasting cheap ammo is really fun. Watching that steel plate bounce every what direction, and then putting in a small group on paper next to it is fun.
Buy a 1-7 barrel, put some 77 grain in the tube and shoot out to 600 or further.

My 16" is a 1-7, I thought go longer like a 20" I have heard 18" are finicky

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 16" is a 1-7, I thought go longer like a 20" I have heard 18" are finicky
Why would an 18" be finicky? I have a couple 16" and one 20", neither are finicky. Its a gas gun, I know that, but there are ways around any issue with that platform.
Also have a .22 Nordic NC-22 upper. There is not a whole lot more fun than dumping a 50 round Black Dog drum mag out of it.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the 18" I guess having a mid length gas system causes them to under gas and a rifle length to over gas, I could be wrong but it's what I read.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the 18" I guess having a mid length gas system causes them to under gas and a rifle length to over gas, I could be wrong but it's what I read.
Meh, get an adjustable gas block and be done with it. Put in a mag, shoot it until the BCG does not eject and give it a half turn more open. Some try to tune it precisely, and that is a mistake. Give the gas block some room to play.

Latest posts

Top Bottom