Which direction for an ar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the availability of that ammo, is it something I can swing into academy and get?

I shied away from 6.5 Grendel some ten years ago because of ammo availability - and cost! I checked again on this caliber a month ago, and though I haven't looked into local vendors, I was astonished at how cheap the ammo has gotten online. Wolf steel cased ammo for 23 cents a round? That caliber is going to be my next build.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the availability of that ammo, is it something I can swing into academy and get?

No, but you can 6.8 SPCII. It's optimized for 16-18" barrels. However, it's still not as good for volume shooting as .223/5.56 due to cost, even if you reload.

.300 BLK is best for building an SBR. I personally like a pinned 14.5" for 5.56, but I'm odd that way.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't already have a 223 Wylde in 1:7 or 1:8 I would go that route. You can shoot cheap 55 grain ammo, 62 grain penetrating, or 77 grain match.

I have one in 16" and one in 18". No problems with either, although the are POF piston guns.

After you have a 223 or 556, then look for other calibers.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still do the blackout. 16" hurts nothing. I run two barrels over a chrono and both of them were mine with my handloads. Everything exactly the same 16" vs 10.5". The 10.5 lost right at 100fps. You're not hurting anything by stepping up to a 16"

Latest posts

Top Bottom