Which part of the state?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m thinking about buying some land. I would like to make money off of the land. Would leasing to a cattle farmer be the best option? Would this hurt the deer hunting?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So I’m thinking about buying some land. I would like to make money off of the land. Would leasing to a cattle farmer be the best option? Would this hurt the deer hunting?

Just say NO to cattle and deer........... imo. Find some property with some ag on it, and cash rent it. Even if they do wheat pasture some cattle, fence it off from the rest of the property if it's not already. Cattle with access to entire property is a head ache to a deer hunter and trapper.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I’ve hunted working cattle ranches in the past. They can be the occasional nuisance but we talked the guy that fed the cows to feed on the other side of the property.
You can’t run feeders unless you fence off a perimeter around it.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SE (McAlister area) IMO would be awesome. Can get land at a far better price than down here in hell's half mile...
some I have been drooling over....
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/W-Hwy-270-Mcalester-OK-74501/2097347113_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Rockford-Rd-Mcalester-OK-74501/2092384917_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/E-Hwy-31-Hwy-Mcalester-OK-74501/2099945160_zpid/
all three are well priced.

David
Hey man, just do your research. I know 3 guys that have sold their land in SE OK because of contaminated wells

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the past I've hunted my grandparents property with cattle. It's a little frustrating having 75 head of cattle walk in on you and start grazing at sunup.
You would have to fence off your feeders. It's also a good idea to park where they can't get to your truck, they will eat the paint.

I had the doors off my Jeep while fishing once and came back to mama cows with mouths full of seat cushion.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Too many variables. It will depend on the county, terrain, soil type, wheat base, etc. If you're looking at buying local, ask around. Flat prime ground for an alfalfa crop will bring more than a red shale terraced hillside. It really varies. Pasture would go for less in your area because you'll have more, we have more ag than grassland pasture.

Edit: wanted to confirm before I quoted. Crop around $40/acre and grass pasture about half that here, over 100 miles NW of OKC.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many variables. It will depend on the county, terrain, soil type, wheat base, etc. If you're looking at buying local, ask around. Flat prime ground for an alfalfa crop will bring more than a red shale terraced hillside. It really varies. Pasture would go for less in your area because you'll have more, we have more ag than grassland pasture.

Edit: wanted to confirm before I quoted. Crop around $40/acre and grass pasture about half that here, over 100 miles NW of OKC.
Yeah, I lease my ag ground for $39 per acre cash rent. I retain hunting/fishing rights. I could get more per acre, but the family that farms it has been doing it for two generations, and are on a shoestring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom