Which Watch are you wearing today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay you turkeys. 😉 Check this one out. Adam worked his magic and got my Great-Grandmother’s pocket watch running like a charm. An Elgin I’m going to say from right around the turn of the century and a treasure to be sure. I’ll let him fill you in on all he did but oh man, can’t begin to say how thankful I am to have this one working.
1675370964615.jpeg

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not saying that it's superior in any way to Rolex. I'd just feel less self-conscious with a GS on my wrist as a daily wearer.

Rolex reminds of a Wilson Supergrade. Lots of drama to get one, overpriced, you'll wait awhile but definitely beautiful (some models) and well built. However, not the best out there.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay you turkeys. 😉 Check this one out. Adam worked his magic and got my Great-Grandmother’s pocket watch running like a charm. An Elgin I’m going to say from right around the turn of the century and a treasure to be sure. I’ll let him fill you in on all he did but oh man, can’t begin to say how thankful I am to have this one working.View attachment 344930

Now that's really cool. Thanks for sharing!

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wearing a DWC F01 pilot, that was a Christmas gift from the wife. It's just an inexpensive IWC Mark series homage with a Miyota movement in it. It comes partially assembled with the sapphire already pressed into the case and the crown and stem already fitted. You just have to install the dial, hands, and case the movement. Not exactly difficult, but it does make for good practice setting hands and casing a movement without getting any dust intrusion.

20230202_122642.jpg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rolex reminds of a Wilson Supergrade. Lots of drama to get one, overpriced, you'll wait awhile but definitely beautiful (some models) and well built. However, not the best out there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on Rolex quality whatsoever. It's still notably better than a Grand Seiko, and I would argue, not really overpriced. My main point was that I'd rather buy/own/use the GS. This is coming from someone who would very much love to own an Explorer. I can purchase a Spring Drive Snowflake at a fraction of the cost, with no waiting lists, and no concerns for using it as a daily wearer. If I had the Explorer, I'd be hesitant to use it as a daily beater and completely self-conscious about the perception of having one on my wrist.

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much???

kidding........... maybe....
This one may not ever get sold. I had this on order for almost 5 months while they were filling the black and blue dialed versions first. If you watch this video, this is my exact watch. AFT had one they loaned to him to do a review and I convinced the dealer to sell it to me.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on Rolex quality whatsoever. It's still notably better than a Grand Seiko, and I would argue, not really overpriced. My main point was that I'd rather buy/own/use the GS. I can purchase a Spring Drive Snowflake at a fraction of the cost, with no waiting lists, and no concerns for using it as a daily wearer. This is coming from someone who would very much love to own an Explorer. If I had the Explorer, I'd be hesitant to use it as a daily beater and completely self-conscious about the perception of having one on my wrist.
If I owned a Spring Drive, I'd just sit there and stare at it all day. It's mesmerizing watching the movement and no jerks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom