Which Watch are you wearing today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I owned a Spring Drive, I'd just sit there and stare at it all day. It's mesmerizing watching the movement and no jerks.

The spring drive system is definitely one of the more interesting recent technological advances in timekeeping (not recently developed, but recently implemented).

Here's a video comparing the mechanical, quartz, and spring drive movements for those who aren't familiar with the differences between the three.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The spring drive system is definitely one of the more interesting recent technological advances in timekeeping.

Here's a video comparing the mechanical, quartz, and spring drive movements for those who aren't familiar with the differences between the three.

Teddy has Kevin O'Leary on his channel sometimes and it's interesting listening to Kevin gush over the Spring Drive when this guy can afford any watch on the planet. Last I remember Kevin's favorite watch was a limited Speedmaster on his signature red band.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
So if a guy wanted to purchase a 2 tone black face Rolex Submariner in decent shape what would be considered a fair price and an honest dealer?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on Rolex quality whatsoever. It's still notably better than a Grand Seiko, and I would argue, not really overpriced. My main point was that I'd rather buy/own/use the GS. This is coming from someone who would very much love to own an Explorer. I can purchase a Spring Drive Snowflake at a fraction of the cost, with no waiting lists, and no concerns for using it as a daily wearer. If I had the Explorer, I'd be hesitant to use it as a daily beater and completely self-conscious about the perception of having one on my wrist.

I'd wear an explorer everyday, most people have no idea. Not sure I'd hunt in one, but I think it's awesome someone did lol. I've seen some pretty good looking examples of those. Then again, I carried a Wilson SG when I owned one. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm reading the buying experiences of dealing with ADs and it sounds like you have to be chosen to buy one unless you want to pay a premium on the grey market. Sounds a lot like Ferrari. Eh, more power to them, they sell everyone they make.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd wear an explorer everyday, most people have no idea. Not sure I'd hunt in one, but I think it's awesome someone did lol. I've seen some pretty good looking examples of those. Then again, I carried a Wilson SG when I owned one. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm reading the buying experiences of dealing with ADs and it sounds like you have to be chosen to buy one unless you want to pay a premium on the grey market. Sounds a lot like Ferrari. Eh, more power to them, they sell everyone they make.

I 100% agree on the circus of purchasing one through an AD. People on the wait lists don't seem to have a problem, but I find all the hoops that you have to jump through demeaning as hell. Just buy something on the gray market from a trusted seller and be done with it.

I personally wouldn't wear anything with Rolex branding on it as an everyday wearer. In my line of work, it's not a great look when you're in someone's home, supposedly selling them a service under the guise that it's affordable. I'd either be pegged as a d*****bag poser or as a sales consultant that rapes his clientele to fund his $10k timepiece. An Explorer is much more under the radar than a Sub, but it still has the logo on the dial nonetheless.

I've also gotten a bad taste in my mouth over what seems to be a lot of Rolex owners' need for validation over the brand of timepiece that they wear. All while 90+% couldn't even name the specs, caliber, or reference of their watch. They bought it solely as a status symbol.

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not saying that it's superior in any way to Rolex. I'd just feel less self-conscious with a GS on my wrist as a daily wearer.
I'll say it, the finishing on a GS beats the daylights out of Rolex. Their movements are just as robust, keep even better time, etc. Look up Zaratsu polishing, see how long it takes to do it at a level required by GS, and then we'll talk.

Here's where Rolex beats everyone.....brand recognition. Everyone knows they are a high quality timepiece. There's no denying it. Are there better, absolutely yes. Are there better for less money, still yes. But none of them hold the prestige that a Rolex does. An Omega with a co-axial escapement keeps WAY better time than a Rolex, with the same (if not better) finishing, etc, and can be had for half the price or less. There is no waiting list from an authorized Omega dealer and no other purchases required before your allowed the privilege of buying the popular model you want (try to walk in, even with cash in hand, to buy a Daytona and see if they'll sell you one. They won't!). If you're strapped for cash anywhere in the world, a Rolex on your wrist will get you out of a jam where an A. Lange & Söhne, made totally by the hands of expert craftsmen, costing multitudes more, and beats a Rolex in every single category regarding build quality, materials, engineering, etc. won't because they don't know what it is. A Rolex is money in the bank.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom