Which whiskey?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My girlfriend brought a bottle of Something Special blended scotch back from Costa Rica. I had never even heard of it, let alone try it, but was surprised to find out it is good. I am not a huge blended scotch man, but when I have a good one I remember it. Something Special is apparently pretty popular in the southern regions of the Americas. It is harder to find in the states(that I have seen so far).

[Broken External Image]

sethk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are they a whiskey drinker, whisky drinker, or a mixer?
For the "peaty" (and still smooth) side:
1) Caol Ila 18
2) Lagavulin 16
3) Caol Ila 12

Oh, man I love me a peaty whisky. Gotta be careful on gifting these 'cause these can be a love it or hate it kinda deal. But if you know someone is into them, then you can be sure that you'll please them, especially if you give them an older bottle or a more elusive brand then their used to. Also, I'd put Laphroaig and Jura up there with those other peaty island Scotches. Never seen Peat Monster, but now I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

A question for those who might know: What does Johnnie Walker Blue taste like?

Most of my whiskey drinking has been Canadian type brands such as Crown Royal, but a friend of mine 'strongly' suggested I try blue if given an opportunity, which one might be coming up. So, if anyone could enlighten me as to how it compares, I'd appreciate it.

In my opinion JW Blue is far too smooth. Its fairly remarkable for a scotch to go down that easy. But if I spend anywhere near that kind of money on a drink, I want to get something more interesting than smooth. I'll take a complex, peaty $40 bottle (see above) over a Blue bottle any day.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know lots of you are whiskey drinkers and many know the classy ones. Not a big whiskey guy myself and need to get a nice, good bottle as a thank you gift. Which whiskey would you get that isn't what a typical drinker would buy for themselves but shows gratitude for a big favor given to my wife and I? I don't mind spending more than normal and would like something unique. Thanks fellas.

Your top three, please. (in case they don't have your number one at my shop)

Sir, I have a best buddy up in HB that knows everything there is to know about whisky and 10% more. I can give you his email if you so desire. I went to a birthday party in Costa Mesa this spring and he brought 27 different bottles of whisky so everyone could find exactly the one they liked.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, man I love me a peaty whisky. Gotta be careful on gifting these 'cause these can be a love it or hate it kinda deal. But if you know someone is into them, then you can be sure that you'll please them, especially if you give them an older bottle or a more elusive brand then their used to. Also, I'd put Laphroaig and Jura up there with those other peaty island Scotches. Never seen Peat Monster, but now I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

Peat Monster is on the far right.

uploadfromtaptalk1377486905453.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha!! I recently got myself a bottle of High West Campfire and it was good. Or at least I enjoyed it. Was recommended to me by a friend. It is now gone so I know there were threads on OSA about whiskeys/bourbons and did a search. Near the top of the search was my question about this topic from 7 years ago. Going to check out some of there recommendations in the prior pages. I did have a coworker highly recommend the JW Blue today.

Anyways, bringing this back up as it still has great info and a good read. Enjoy if you haven't seen this thread before.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha!! I recently got myself a bottle of High West Campfire and it was good. Or at least I enjoyed it. Was recommended to me by a friend. It is now gone so I know there were threads on OSA about whiskeys/bourbons and did a search. Near the top of the search was my question about this topic from 7 years ago. Going to check out some of there recommendations in the prior pages. I did have a coworker highly recommend the JW Blue today.

Anyways, bringing this back up as it still has great info and a good read. Enjoy if you haven't seen this thread before.
Great thread with a lot of information! Sitting near a campfire at the moment enjoying some Canadian whisky with a tiny shot of lemon.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This followed me home today. So far it is nice but a bit different than the High West Campfire. Happy with this.

O4L - If you like smokey then this High West will make you happy.

Dennis - a couple of nights I squeezed some fresh lime in my drink and though if a connoisseur saw me do this he would probabl shart himself.

upload_2020-7-9_21-9-26.png

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow... I was gonna say I can't believe I missed this thread. But when looking at the date, it was during a period in my life when I had... well... a lot going on, let's just say that.

At the time, I was drinking a LOT of Scotch, actually spending more on Scotch than on rent - I was living in a little trailer out in the country in Leflore County, so that's not as admittedly bad as it could be, but still indicative of how much I was drinking, lol.

At that time (2013) I was transitioning from The Glenlivet to The Balvenie Doublewood. Doublewood is still my favorite "normal" Scotch to drink, as in not a "special bottle" for a special occasion or a treat or whatever. Although it has become more of a treat in the last few years. With the increase in the price - in 2013 Doublewood was costing me about $48 a bottle, now it's closing in on mid-$60s - and the decrease in my income - currently less than ¼ of what I was making then - I have mostly switched to bourbons. Not necessarily by choice, by necessity, but I have developed a bit more of a taste for them than I had then. I really miss my single malt, though. :(

Mostly drinking Larceny and Elijah Craig these days. Have a few bottles left of The Balvenie Portwood 1993, I'll break one out of my stash once or twice a year. Also have some Doublewood once or twice a year as well. Likely less this year - I just drank a bottle of it I was given at Christmas last month, and I doubt I'll be buying another anytime soon. Gotta be able to pay my mortgage first. On a very rare occasion I might pick up a bottle of Macallan 10y or even 12y. Not likely this year, though.

Made my way through a lot of ryes, too. Woodford makes a nice rye, Sazerac (staring at a bottle this very second) makes one of my favorites. So does Knob Creek. I've got a bottle of WhistlePig, which is supposed to be the bees knees, but for the $80 price tag, I found it just good, not spectacular.

Latest posts

Top Bottom