White Winged Dove...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

Just a few question and comments about the white winged dove. I'm a "City-Slicker" now and have been for a few years but I grew up on 160 acres with other farms being close to my folks house so I'm guessing a total of 300+ or- acres all together.

As a kid then into a man I only knew the Mourning Dove and that was pretty much it being a country kid.

Now that I live in NW-OKC I have a wealth of birds that come to my back yard and I'm quite amazed at how many different species of bird that come to my feeders.

The newest two this year are a Brown Trash also called a Brown Thrush:
[Broken External Image]

But the one in question is the White Wing Dove:
size0.jpg

I haven't looked them up but are they a transplanted/migrated into Oklahoma bird?
It's been 30 years since I've been dove hunting and I swear I don't ever remember seeing these birds(White Wing Dove) in NW Lincoln County.

I remember about 12 years ago some old hunting buddies were talking about a "larger" dove that they were seeing back then....Eurasian Collared Dove.

So fill me in on the White Winged Dove. I can get every type of bird in my backyard from a Golden Headed Blackbird to a flock of Meadow Larks to Sparrow Hawks...you name it.

But I can't get a Humming Bird into my back yard if I put up a billboard"free food for hummers" as bright as the Las Vegas Strip!!!

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Brown Thrasher is an interesting bird, usually fly below the radar. You can call it a Thrush if you like, but it's not in the Thrush family.

White wings are a Southwest bird. They've been moving northward from Texas. Hadn't seen any here in OK till a couple years ago when a whole flock invaded my feeder one Winter day. Till then, I hadn't seen any North of Texas.

It seems they're slowly moving north. The Eurasian collared doves are escaped pets that have made a foothold. I see more and more of them all the time.

i.imgur.com_yO2PtFt.jpg

i.imgur.com_HBGsQU0.jpg

i.imgur.com_AwAwozD.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
White wings are the most populous dove in the Houston/Katy area.
They are migrating northward. The Mourning Dove is adapting to our weather and large numbers of them are not migrating, even in the Northern part of the state.
The collard dove are on the ODW hit list. Still have to shoot in season, and follow limits, but they ask you shoot all you can saving the wing for ID.
Problem is that they habitat homesteads, and around elevators vs traveling out to fields where they can be shot. ODW says they will eventually drive off the mourning dove where they habitate.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
White wings are the most populous dove in the Houston/Katy area.
They are migrating northward. The Mourning Dove is adapting to our weather and large numbers of them are not migrating, even in the Northern part of the state.
The collard dove are on the ODW hit list. Still have to shoot in season, and follow limits, but they ask you shoot all you can saving the wing for ID.
Problem is that they habitat homesteads, and around elevators vs traveling out to fields where they can be shot. ODW says they will eventually drive off the mourning dove where they habitate.

Same concept as the hogs.......... invasive species, dozen reasons for them to be shot on sight year aground, so let's regulate the hell out of them, make their population harder to control, and add another paragraph in the regs. Same stroke of the pen that could help eliminate our hog problem, could do the same in this situation. Nope, I have to smh at the ODWC sometimes.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've had them forever in Southern Oklahoma. As far as the hummingbirds, we're thick with them right up to migration time. If you have bee's that have found your feeder, move it. Hummers will not screw with the bee's.
Check if any of your neighbors have hummers.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had them forever in Southern Oklahoma. As far as the hummingbirds, we're thick with them right up to migration time. If you have bee's that have found your feeder, move it. Hummers will not screw with the bee's.
Check if any of your neighbors have hummers.
Confirmed, Dave the neighbor to the East gets hummers year round, Steve to the North said he never gets hummers.

Same concept as the hogs.......... invasive species, dozen reasons for them to be shot on sight year aground, so let's regulate the hell out of them, make their population harder to control, and add another paragraph in the regs. Same stroke of the pen that could help eliminate our hog problem, could do the same in this situation. Nope, I have to smh at the ODWC sometimes.

If ODWC wanted rid of the Collared, they'd let me shoot them year round off my bird feeders. But once again, if they can make a nickel off of it, we'll have to get a state approved license..

Last edited:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Year round hummers.

That would be awesome!
It's fun to watch. Wife has several feeders (front and back). They go through the sugar water fast. Had put one in new spot off a maple tree and the bees found them and it was crazy. Once the bee's find a food source, they bring the whole damn hive. Just had to move it for a while and then they find another source.
The males are the first to come when the migration begins. Females come later. We put a feeder out early and wait for the males to show up. When we see that first one, we then put up the others. When it's time for them to go, it's a bummer.
Humming birds tend to return to the places they find food, so if you get them coming, they will probably come back.
They migrate far south in the winter, and as they do when they return, they go to the same place.
Put a feeder as close to your neighbor that has them. They'll find it and once they do, put some more out where you want them.
Next year.....hummingbird woodstock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom