Whittington Center May 2nd, I hope I can go

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad will be 96 on March 27, wants to go shoot at Whittington Center in Raton NM, May 2nd.
Several men from Hennessey area going out to shoot.
Damn gas prices and ammo cost sure limit fun. Dad shooting the 03 Springfield he built shooting the buffalo on the silhouette range a few years ago
FB_IMG_1547314573750.jpg

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sincerely hope that you will be able to make it out there with your father.

I stopped at the Whittington Center years ago as my wife and I were passing by on the way to Red River. We toured the museum and spoke to one of the instructors about long range shooting. We were really impressed with the facility and what they have to offer. Ever since then I've been wanting to go, but so far I just haven't been able to make it happen.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had way too much fun there over the last 40yrs.I have gone out early morning, set up every silhouette target and used my Garand and a old school gunsmith built heavy barrel Mauser in 30-06 to test my marksmanship and play 1$ a miss with my brother and clean him out calling and making shots with iron sights he couldnt ever hit with a scope on his gun.
Shooting at the buffalo with big bore handguns is a lesson in field artillery and spotting.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That place has recently come to my attention. I didn’t even know about it two years ago. Do you have to be an NRA member to go there?

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buy annual WC range membership at the gate $25 last time I was there. Acomodations run from primitive campsites, primitive cabins, competitor dorms with common showers and kitchens in each wing, founders cabins are nice motel rooms 4 plex. With common kitchen and
a RV park.
Pro shop, museum, world class shotgun ranges have food service on match days.
10 mile drive into Raton.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never took a long gun there, but did stop and spend a night there on our way back from the mountains once. Shot some silhouette's with a couple handguns. I really want to take my M1 Garand and try the buffalo!

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That place has recently come to my attention. I didn’t even know about it two years ago. Do you have to be an NRA member to go there?
No, you do have to purchase a membership, it’s $30 for individual and $50 for family for the year.

Interestingly, the NRA has nothing to do with the Whittington Center. It is a self sustained entity, who does get some funding from the NRA.

We go out 6-7 times a year to shoot competitions, 3 gun, long range rifle, carbine, shotgun and sometimes pistol.

On the North end of the property is Coal Canyon where they host most of the rifle matches, a beautiful range right in the mountains. It’s just West of Raton.

Latest posts

Top Bottom