Who carries a Glock loaded with one in the chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And no matter how many times you watch swat your still not colin ferrel

That's funny. I wouldn't have been able to tell you who starred in the show, never seen it. Last SWAT show I saw was with Steve Forrest back in the days of Dragnet, CHIPS & Adam 12... but since you could name Farrel, it sounds like you're the SWAT / police show follower.

Good night everyone. I think there is a law about just how much pot stirring is allowed on a forum for one night... and I think we've reached the limit.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
been thinking over this issue of safety of S&W revolver vs Glock as it pertains to CCW ... both no safeties .. both with long trigger stroke.

actual weight measurements taken on 340PD and G-17 ... as most everyone knows Glock has a two stage trigger ... 1lb 12oz until a wall is reached.... then 4.5mm @ 5lb 8oz to release for a total travel of 11.5mm.

340PD takes 9lb to move trigger which travels 18mm until trigger is released. 9lb of force is maintained for 18mm of travel.

in terms of possible accidental snags on trigger when CCW. Glock's first stage at 1lb 12oz is all but not there. final travel to trigger release of 4.5mm at 5lb 8oz. that's all there is ...

totally comfortable with slipping a S&W 340PD in a pocket without a holster. VS would never do the same with a Glock! don't get me wrong would never recommend CCW any weapon without a holster. but there are plenty of times. when slipping a pistol in your pocket is all that's needed.

point is .. there's a much lower chance of trigger accidentally getting snagged with a S&W revolver vs Glock.

9lb for 18mm vs 5.5lb for 4.5mm travel (.177in)

Last edited:

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just stirring the pot to get a rise out of people. I'm not trying to change anyone to any certain method. Like I posted earlier, I carry a Glock with one in the chamber all the time. I not gonna quibble with people and tell them they are 100% wrong for not carrying chamber loaded. I don't think that 5-tenths of a second longer to rack a round is gonna matter one bit in a real life self defense situation.

Thats just bad advice, no offense. It's not just a matter of time, it's about being able to make your gun ready. If you've done any serious force on force training you'd know that quite often you have to gain and maintain same side control with your weak arm, then draw and fire one handed. If your gun isn't ready to fire, that's a problem.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats just bad advice, no offense. It's not just a matter of time, it's about being able to make your gun ready. If you've done any serious force on force training you'd know that quite often you have to gain and maintain same side control with your weak arm, then draw and fire one handed. If your gun isn't ready to fire, that's a problem.

No offense taken.. this is a opinion forum for people to give their views & thoughts. If it weren't for our differences in opinions and the discussions they generate, forums like this would be pretty boring. While I always carry with a round in the chamber and I don't disagree at all with the arguments for carrying chamber loaded, I think some of the people above who get so rabid in expressing their opinions against someone who doesn't... loose sight of a few facts.

1. It was just 17 years ago we couldn't carry weapons, as there were no conceal carry permits. We should be thankful we now have the ability to legally carry a handgun on our person... chamber loaded or not. What we have now is far better than a gun at home or locked in our car's trunk.

2. Today, the majority of the state's population still doesn't have a firearms permit. But thankfully there are dozens starting to do so every week... and hopefully they will end-up on forums like this.

If someone new to carrying a firearm happens upon this forum, I don't want them being soured on carrying just because a few rabid people harshly criticize them for not carrying chamber loaded. We should teach, not berate. Offer suggestions & options, not our way or the highway! That is why I was offering alternatives.... such as going with a NY1 11 pound trigger or if they were going to carry on a empty chamber, then using the Israeli Draw.

I'd much rather that someone reading this forum who is uncomfortable with carrying a chamber loaded handgun carried one that they had to rack a round into the chamber... as opposed to them reading all the ranting that chamber loaded is the only acceptable means of carry... and then they decide not to carry at all. As they gain confidence and get comfortable with their firearm, they may learn to carry chamber loaded... if not, at least they will have a weapon with them verses none at all.

And being realistic, the chances of the majority of people ever being in a situation where they wouldn't have the time & ability to rack a round into the chamber are probably next to none. A majority of police officers never even fire their weapons in the line of duty in their entire careers....other than on the range.

I've been carrying 17 years and never even put my hand on my weapon [much less drawn it] due to encountering a dangerous situation when out in public.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to work with another officer who carried a 1911. He always carried it chamber empty and hammer down. I asked him why and he said that he felt safer carrying it that way. I then asked why he didn't just carry a revolver. He told that that an auto was better and held more rounds.

When it came time for qualifications, I saw him chamber a round and leave the hammer back. The answer this time. "I just do this for qualifications cause the time is too short." This led to a discussion with the range officer who overheard our conversation. The range officer made him go back to his "normal" method of carrying and sure enough he failed to meet the times on the qualification course.

He had to start carrying cocked and locked in order to qualify. He retired the next year.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense taken.. this is a opinion forum for people to give their views & thoughts. If it weren't for our differences in opinions and the discussions they generate, forums like this would be pretty boring. While I always carry with a round in the chamber and I don't disagree at all with the arguments for carrying chamber loaded, I think some of the people above who get so rabid in expressing their opinions against someone who doesn't... loose sight of a few facts.

1. It was just 17 years ago we couldn't carry weapons, as there were no conceal carry permits. We should be thankful we now have the ability to legally carry a handgun on our person... chamber loaded or not. What we have now is far better than a gun at home or locked in our car's trunk.

2. Today, the majority of the state's population still doesn't have a firearms permit. But thankfully there are dozens starting to do so every week... and hopefully they will end-up on forums like this.

If someone new to carrying a firearm happens upon this forum, I don't want them being soured on carrying just because a few rabid people harshly criticize them for not carrying chamber loaded. We should teach, not berate. Offer suggestions & options, not our way or the highway! That is why I was offering alternatives.... such as going with a NY1 11 pound trigger or if they were going to carry on a empty chamber, then using the Israeli Draw.

I'd much rather that someone reading this forum who is uncomfortable with carrying a chamber loaded handgun carried one that they had to rack a round into the chamber... as opposed to them reading all the ranting that chamber loaded is the only acceptable means of carry... and then they decide not to carry at all. As they gain confidence and get comfortable with their firearm, they may learn to carry chamber loaded... if not, at least they will have a weapon with them verses none at all.

And being realistic, the chances of the majority of people ever being in a situation where they wouldn't have the time & ability to rack a round into the chamber are probably next to none. A majority of police officers never even fire their weapons in the line of duty in their entire careers....other than on the range.

I've been carrying 17 years and never even put my hand on my weapon [much less drawn it] due to encountering a dangerous situation when out in public.

I don't think anyone has posted something berating a person who chooses to carry chamber empty. I agree we should help teach those new to carry, which includes the best possible carry condition (which in my opinion and the opinion of those with far more training and experience than I) is chamber loaded. Just one force on force scenario and you'll understand how carrying with an empty chamber can get you killed. I'm not trying to be "rabid" about my opinion, but I honestly believe carrying with a chamber loaded could save your life, and I would hate to see one of the good guys killed simply because they felt uncomfortable with a chamber loaded gun when it was designed to be carried that way! It's just a simple training issue!

You said you've never had to draw your carry gun. That's great! But if you are using that as an example of "the odds" saying you probably won't be in a situation where you need a loaded chamber, well then "the odds" are also saying you probably don't even need to carry in the first place. We should carry and train in the most efficient manner, because if you ever do need it, it could save your life.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It all goes back to this thread: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?511-Is-Your-Gun-a-Weapon-or-a-Talisman

Weapon or Talisman. If you aren't comfortable carrying a loaded weapon....you are more than likely just relying on a talisman. That's not berating or belittling...that's speaking hard truth.

I'll ask it again, what is more complex and time consuming in a deadly force encounter where fractions of seconds count?

A) Drawing, aiming, and firing a loaded gun?
B) Drawing, loading, aiming, and firing an unloaded one?

Some argue that with practice B can be nearly as good as A....but it will never be as fast as A or require less physical manipulation/skill. If one has the time to dedicate to making B nearly as good as A, why not just practice A more and be even smoother/better/faster?

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glocks are one of the safest guns to carry one in the chamber. I know more people who have had an accidental discharge from a 1911 or gun with a thumb safety than a striker fired or double action only gun. The 5.5 pound trigger is more than adequate and as long as YOU don't squeeze the trigger it won't go off. Good holsters will cover the trigger area and will prevent things from going in the trigger guard.

The issue with thumb safeties is that people use that as a crutch for poor trigger discipline. Because they have that safety, they form a bad habit of putting their finger around a trigger with the safety on. Accidental discharges happens because they will pull the trigger thinking the safety is still on. Even worse is people use it as a crutch for shooting fast out of a quick draw. People get lazy and will already squeeze and apply pressure to the trigger even before disengaging the thumb safety, essentially making the thumb safety the "trigger." I've seen a guy nearly shoot his toe off because he tried to quick draw a 1911 he thought had the safety on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom