Who carries a Glock loaded with one in the chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
which again leads back to if one is not comfortable with carrying a Glock with round in chamber...

a. select another firearm that you are comfortable with carrying round in chamber.

b. practice.. practice .. practice... train until you've gained ability to operate a Glock with total confidence.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, I carry chamber loaded and don't disagree with the benefits of doing so. I'm taking into consideration the fact that for the most part..... the people on this forum are experienced gun guys & gals who have probably sent thousands of rounds down range. That some of you are probably financially able to buy extremely nice guns, lots of ammo, pay range fees or have property where you can go shoot, and can afford all kinds of gun / self defense related classes.

That said, some people [especially single moms and older people on fixed incomes in the metro areas] are barely getting by and can't afford the ammunition to go practice, can't afford range fees, nor additional SD classes. They did without and scraped the money together to buy a gun & get a pemit because they are scared of the times we live in. And the only additional "Training" they might possibly get is reading a forum like this one. Some of those people may have made a poor choice in buying a semi-auto instead of a revolver. They may have had a friend give them bad advice or they bought the only gun they could afford... like a used Hi-Point. They just bought a gun because they are afraid and wanted some kind of protection.

If someone like that who doesn't have a lot of experience with a gun prefers to carry with a unloaded chamber, it is still far better than a gun locked in a car trunk, one left at home or having no gun at all. I'd rather they carried a semi-auto with a empty chamber until they gain confidence with their weapon.... as they are the ones likely to have a accidental discharge in public. U]But I definitely think they should only carry concealed[/U]. For them, if they ever needed their weapon, it wouldn't be to much more time & effort than what racking a round into a 12 ga shotgun at home would be.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any gun I carry I carry chamber loaded.

This^^^^^

I've carried a glock, 1911, xdm(current) in that order over the last couple years, all chamber loaded. All are safe with proper holster.

I have no feeling one way or another on external safeties. I trained and was just as fast with 1911 draw and fire as a glock. If you train, the any gun will work for you. What you can't due is DEPEND on the external safeties to protect you against sloppy gun handling. If you "accidentally" engage the trigger and the safety "prevents" a ND, then you failed at gun101,trigger is not touched unless there is a threat.

Avman63

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry with one in the chamber all the time with my G19 in a White hat holster. As long as you keep your bugger picker off of the bang switch you are fine. The trigger safety works well.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry with one in the chamber all the time with my G19 in a White hat holster. As long as you keep your bugger picker off of the bang switch you are fine. The trigger safety works well.

trigger safety on a Glock only works for drops, not as a deterrent against accidental trigger discharge, due to snags, etc. it's very difficult not to engage so called trigger safety anytime trigger is touched. for all practically purposes there is NO trigger safety on a Glock. except special Glocks with S model # made for countries that specified a side safety.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, I carry chamber loaded and don't disagree with the benefits of doing so. I'm taking into consideration the fact that for the most part..... the people on this forum are experienced gun guys & gals who have probably sent thousands of rounds down range. That some of you are probably financially able to buy extremely nice guns, lots of ammo, pay range fees or have property where you can go shoot, and can afford all kinds of gun / self defense related classes.

That said, some people [especially single moms and older people on fixed incomes in the metro areas] are barely getting by and can't afford the ammunition to go practice, can't afford range fees, nor additional SD classes. They did without and scraped the money together to buy a gun & get a pemit because they are scared of the times we live in. And the only additional "Training" they might possibly get is reading a forum like this one. Some of those people may have made a poor choice in buying a semi-auto instead of a revolver. They may have had a friend give them bad advice or they bought the only gun they could afford... like a used Hi-Point. They just bought a gun because they are afraid and wanted some kind of protection.

If someone like that who doesn't have a lot of experience with a gun prefers to carry with a unloaded chamber, it is still far better than a gun locked in a car trunk, one left at home or having no gun at all. I'd rather they carried a semi-auto with a empty chamber until they gain confidence with their weapon.... as they are the ones likely to have a accidental discharge in public. U]But I definitely think they should only carry concealed[/U]. For them, if they ever needed their weapon, it wouldn't be to much more time & effort than what racking a round into a 12 ga shotgun at home would be.

If they can only afford a used Hi-point, I doubt they can afford a carry license, photos, holster, ammo, etc. If they paid the money for all of that and took the time to research carry options on the Internet (probably paying for that too) I think they are interested in learning the best possible carry choice.

Buying a gun makes you safe, like buying a guitar makes you a musician. You have to train with the tool if you're serious about becoming proficient with it. I don't think patting them on the back and saying "it's OK, you can't afford to learn to carry and be efficient with your firearm" is a good idea. I think it's irresponsible.

They put the time and money into getting a license and firearm. Now they are seeking guidance on carry and self defense. Now they see the VAST majority carry with a round in the chamber and there's a reason for that. So what to do? For now more research! There is tons for great teaching information on the Web and great instructional videos on the internet. With some snap caps you can become proficient at drawing, pressing the trigger and changing mags without ever leaving your home or spending any money.

Training? Think of something you buy everyday. A cup of coffee, pack of gum, smokes, etc. Say you spend a buck a day on that item. Stop buying it, save the dollar and before long you can afford a good training class.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't carry a Glock, but a XD either way its gonna have one in hole. You may not have time to chamber it, or have an open hand, one hand may be moving a child behind me or my wife or one hand may be steering us to safety...or my arm may be stabbed or shot and can't rack a slide.

Latest posts

Top Bottom