Who has a .460 Weatherby Magnum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's on the brain again...anybody here have one?
I have a .458 Lott and was scared to death to pull the trigger on it the first time, only to find out it wasn't as bad as the interweb had made it sound. Now, I'm not saying it was a peach...but my wallet gets sore before my shoulder does.
Since then, I've had the idea of a .460 Weatherby Magnum, but I also realize that's a big jump in horsepower. On the other hand, the Lott is in a Ruger No. 1 which is about the worst platform out there for comfortably shooting a big bore...so maybe a .460 Weatherby in a "proper" bolt gun wouldn't be as bad?

So, anybody have personal experience between the two?
Better yet, anybody have one they'd let a guy try out? I could buy a few rounds of ammo from ya, or trade some shots on the Lott.

Ruger No1.jpg

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one for a few years, the .378 actually is worse than the .460 from what I've been told. The .460 is quite a bit more than a .458 Winchester. Ive never shot a .458 Lott but everyone says they hit a lot harder than a Winchester. They say anytime velocity goes up 50 fps on a bullet over 500 grains you really feel it in recoil. If you can handle the Lott you can probably handle the .460 after spending time with it. But I really don't see the advantage of the .460 over the Lott unless you just want it. I never shot mine more than a few times because it's just so expensive, so I sold it. You should try to find a .500 A-Square which is a .460 Weatherby blown out to .50 caliber, then you will have a real thumper, I think you can re- barrel a Ruger 1 up to .600 Nitro if you want. I have a .470 Capstick which is a Lott blown out to .475, it's in an A-Square rifle which is the same company that made the .577 T-Rex.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot both the 378 and the 460 and couldn't tell the difference. Both are in another class compared to the No1 Lott and a CZ bolt 416 Rigby imo.

Way worse or not as bad? I could see it going either way.
Seems most .460 Weatherby come with a brake which should help a bunch, as well as better designed stocks and are heavier which too should help.
But again, way more HP so maybe all that doesnt make up for the additional umph.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one for a few years, the .378 actually is worse than the .460 from what I've been told. The .460 is quite a bit more than a .458 Winchester. Ive never shot a .458 Lott but everyone says they hit a lot harder than a Winchester. They say anytime velocity goes up 50 fps on a bullet over 500 grains you really feel it in recoil. If you can handle the Lott you can probably handle the .460 after spending time with it. But I really don't see the advantage of the .460 over the Lott unless you just want it. I never shot mine more than a few times because it's just so expensive, so I sold it. You should try to find a .500 A-Square which is a .460 Weatherby blown out to .50 caliber, then you will have a real thumper, I think you can re- barrel a Ruger 1 up to .600 Nitro if you want. I have a .470 Capstick which is a Lott blown out to .475, it's in an A-Square rifle which is the same company that made the .577 T-Rex.

The Lott serves no purpose for me other than being a neat range toy...just as a .460 Weatherby would. I ended up enjoying the Lott way more than I thought I would, its just fun to have and shoot every now and then.
I guess I could look into someone who specializes in No. 1's and pick up another one of those to have rechambered in something totally ridiculous. I still need a blued No. 1 in my life....

I wonder if anybody does big bore conversions on 1885s?

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
.460 Weatherby isn't bad. I had one and even my son at 14 didn't have a problem with the recoil. Which brings me to a story.

When my son was a young kidlet, I decided to show him that recoil really wasn't nothing to fret about. So, I took up a double barrel 12 gauge, stood up, placed it against my crotch, and pulled the triggers. I should have fired just one barrel. I really, REALLY should have fired just one barrel at a time. It took a bit for the tears and cursing to stop, and when I managing to uncurl from that fetal position my son seemed less than impressed. That was one of my, somewhat frequent, less-than-shining moments.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my son was a young kidlet, I decided to show him that recoil really wasn't nothing to fret about. So, I took up a double barrel 12 gauge, stood up, placed it against my crotch, and pulled the triggers. I should have fired just one barrel. I really, REALLY should have fired just one barrel at a time. It took a bit for the tears and cursing to stop, and when I managing to uncurl from that fetal position my son seemed less than impressed. That was one of my, somewhat frequent, less-than-shining moments.

I had a issue shooting my dads Browning BSS twice in a row when both barrels went off (12ga, pheasant loads). Did it twice in a row for me but never before and never again. It kicked, that's for sure. I was probably about the same age as your son.

Latest posts

Top Bottom