Who has a .460 Weatherby Magnum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a custom 460 Weatherby Magnum and love it.

This is the current load that I am shooting in it:

CASE: Weatherby 460 Weatherby Magnum

PRIMER: Federal 215 Magnum

POWDER: H-4895 / 110 grains

BULLET: Hornady 350 gr. Round Nose

VELOCITY: 3,118 fps.

ACCURACY: 3-shot groups @ 100 yards average 9/16"
Nice...but what are you shooting it AT?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least you use your big bore for game. I only shoot my Lott at paper and steel LOL. (Oh, I've shot it through a few trees too just to see if it would)
I'd love to try some hogs with it but havent had the opportunity since I got the gun.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I emailed SSK and that was their response. IDK if that means its just that chambering, or if they dont do No. 1 work anymore. They didnt give me much to work with.
That's strange, they used to chamber #1s in all kinds of weird calibers, he must've sold out to someone else. Try Gary Reeder he works on them.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JD Jones sold SSK Industries to Lehigh Defense a couple of years ago after his health started failing.

The guys at Lehigh Defense seem somewhat capable I guess, but will never be able to pull off the same kind of work as what JD did.

lehighdefense.com

SSK Firearms

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if they just never took the old website down? I asked what part of that request was beyond their capability, we'll see what they say.

I'm not "begging" them to do the work, just curious as it seems right up their alley. With the luck I've (not) had with gunsmiths I should just nix this whole idea and look for something factory chambered in a traditional round.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago, like 15-20 years ago, I asked JD if he could rebarrel a Ruger #1 for me in either the 378 or 460 Weatherby Magnum, and he said he could but only on the Ruger #1 Tropical model, so I'm guessing that it can be done.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if they just never took the old website down? I asked what part of that request was beyond their capability, we'll see what they say.

I'm not "begging" them to do the work, just curious as it seems right up their alley. With the luck I've (not) had with gunsmiths I should just nix this whole idea and look for something factory chambered in a traditional round.
I have a bad story about a custom gunsmith, I sent a Marlin 336 off about 4 years ago for a .50 Alaskan conversion. Sent the guy half the money ($450) and he's never finished it. Everytime I call he blames his bad health and that he will finish it in a week or two. I don't bother him very often but this is the worst I've ever been took on a gun deal. He had a great reputation and I actually met him at the Tulsa gunshow where he and John Linebaugh were sharing a table and he seemed liked a helluva nice guy but I guess he's actually a thief and a liar. I even called Linebaugh about a year ago and ask about his buddy and he said that he has been doing people like this for a while. Thought about calling the ATF and seeing where that would go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom