Who has a .460 Weatherby Magnum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a huge old gun! I think Tom Horn carried a 1876 in .45-60 and I picked up one at a show one time and it was all there
Yes I got to fire one in 45-90 once and it was a hoss. I saw one in 50-110 at a gun show once and fell in love with it but could never afford one. If I tried to fire one now with my screwed up ribs it would probably kill me.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I got to fire one in 45-90 once and it was a hoss. I saw one in 50-110 at a gun show once and fell in love with it but could never afford one. If I tried to fire one now with my screwed up ribs it would probably kill me.
I don't know how bad the recoil would be because there so heavy and relatively low pressure. I heard the 1895 Winchester in .405 was pretty bad because most of them had crescent butt plates and it had a pretty quick and sharp recoil.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how bad the recoil would be because there so heavy and relatively low pressure. I heard the 1895 Winchester in .405 was pretty bad because most of them had crescent butt plates and it had a pretty quick and sharp recoil.
I think they were lighter that the 1886 too.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the 1895 was there modern rifle made for smokeless loads, I always thought it was also the ugliest lever gun that Winchester made. I would love to have a model 71 in .348 but there high, even the Browning copies are getting up there.
My father loved levers and would not shoot anything else. I always wanted to get him an 1895 in 30.06.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting fact about the model 95, there was a hunter from Oklahoma named Charles Cotter that got killed by a rhino in the early 1900's because he was a firm believer in lever guns and wouldn't use an express rifle. The .405 didn't have enough stuff that day to stop a charging rhino and it hooked him and killed him.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since JD Jones died they may be implementing new policies.
Got the wrong JD Jones, The one I found the article on was a 26 year old rodeo cowboy, SSK's JD Jones is still alive and well and has a birthday next month, he'll be 86
Thats a huge old gun! I think Tom Horn carried a 1876 in .45-60 and I picked up one at a show one time and it was all there
I read were he liked the 30-30 but don't know if that was what that kid was killed with....That was a real screw job he got, recent findings showed that he was 30 miles away when that kid was killed. Cattle baron's were getting panicked about how effective his "regulating" was.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got the wrong JD Jones, The one I found the article on was a 26 year old rodeo cowboy, SSK's JD Jones is still alive and well and has a birthday next month, he'll be 86

I read were he liked the 30-30 but don't know if that was what that kid was killed with....That was a real screw job he got, recent findings showed that he was 30 miles away when that kid was killed. Cattle baron's were getting panicked about how effective his "regulating" was.
Seems like I read somewhere that he had 30-30 which makes sense in the early 1900's. I know in the movie they said McQueen only used the '76 for close up camera shots and the rest of the time he had a '94 because it was so much easier to handle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom