Who has a .460 Weatherby Magnum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_plum

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's on the brain again...anybody here have one?
I have a .458 Lott and was scared to death to pull the trigger on it the first time, only to find out it wasn't as bad as the interweb had made it sound. Now, I'm not saying it was a peach...but my wallet gets sore before my shoulder does.
Since then, I've had the idea of a .460 Weatherby Magnum, but I also realize that's a big jump in horsepower. On the other hand, the Lott is in a Ruger No. 1 which is about the worst platform out there for comfortably shooting a big bore...so maybe a .460 Weatherby in a "proper" bolt gun wouldn't be as bad?

So, anybody have personal experience between the two?
Better yet, anybody have one they'd let a guy try out? I could buy a few rounds of ammo from ya, or trade some shots on the Lott.

View attachment 222436
I have a .460 W. German, African Bubinga stocked custom. It only has the original factory rounds- three- ever shot through it. It is as perfect as perfect can be; a truly beautiful thing. I have another- Japanese made- which I shot twice in my life at a range down in Texas... not nearly as bad as folks think, but you had better hold on a little bit at least!.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a .460 W. German, African Bubinga stocked custom. It only has the original factory rounds- three- ever shot through it. It is as perfect as perfect can be; a truly beautiful thing. I have another- Japanese made- which I shot twice in my life at a range down in Texas... not nearly as bad as folks think, but you had better hold on a little bit at least!.

Welcome to the site! Glad to have another 'big bore fiend' on here! Why don't you go over to 'New Member Introductions' and tell us a bit about yourself!

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No man, I mean get together and make some noise. You can be there in spirit.
In that case, I have a 505(.510) Gibbs on CZ 550, a 510 wildcat based on the 408 Chey Tac brass, still in the build, going on a Bat Action, a 50 Alaskan on a Siamese Mauser and a 500 S&W......I like my 50's, next size down is a couple 416's My first center fire gun I ever shot (when I was 6) was my granddad's 45/70 in a Springfield trap door, been in love with big bores ever since.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well my buddy sent me a text today and said the local gun shop has a Weatherby Deluxe on the shelf chambered in 460 so I may have to go take a looksie this week. I would rather have the version with open sights but I've never handled a Mark 5 so will have to go check it out.
I might still have a few pieces of brass and some hand loads for those around here some place

Latest posts

Top Bottom