Who here in SW Oklahoma shoots Eurasian collared doves with an air gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it even legal to hunt Eurasian collared doves in Oklahoma with a BB gun or pellet rifle? Because an air gun is a non-firearm, there might be more places to lawfully discharge it for sporting purposes. I can't legally discharge such a weapon within the Lawton city limits for harvesting game. I would need to find a nearby jurisdiction where I could lawfully do so. Collared doves are a pest, not a regulated game species as far as I know. They are said to yield more meat than a protected migratory mourning dove. I might be able to air gun for unprotected species of doves in areas where firearms would be a no-no. One could ask farmers for permission to relieve their spread of pesky Eurasians, an invasive species all over North America. Is Fort Sill a good hunting ground for air gunning for Eurasians??

It should be relatively easy to kill a sitting dove with an air gun if somebody is already proficient with a firerarms rifle as I am. Air guns can be used in some places firearms are restricted. Landowners might welcome people with air guns to hunt on their land for varmints and small game more readily than they would allow real guns. A single pellet is going to do even less dove breast damage than a shotgun charge.

PS - I would not want birds shot for my pot to land in horsechit or cowchit.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211025-142427_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211025-142427_Chrome.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 28

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have this idea. Post a Craigslist classified ad under Services.

Farm/Garden

Free Eurasian Collared Dove Pest Control

Equipment Used: Beeman air rifle. The only pay for my services I ask for is to able to keep at least one dozen birds for each 24 I dispatch. There must be no local law or ordinance in the jurisdiction of your property prohibiting the discharge of air guns for pest-control purposes.

Business Name:
Telephone/Text Number:

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Is it even legal to hunt Eurasian collared doves in Oklahoma with a BB gun or pellet rifle? Because an air gun is a non-firearm, there might be more places to lawfully discharge it for sporting purposes. I can't legally discharge such a weapon within the Lawton city limits for harvesting game. I would need to find a nearby jurisdiction where I could lawfully do so. Collared doves are a pest, not a regulated game species as far as I know. They are said to yield more meat than a protected migratory mourning dove. I might be able to air gun for unprotected species of doves in areas where firearms would be a no-no. One could ask farmers for permission to relieve their spread of pesky Eurasians, an invasive species all over North America. Is Fort Sill a good hunting ground for air gunning for Eurasians??

It should be relatively easy to kill a sitting dove with an air gun if somebody is already proficient with a firerarms rifle as I am. Air guns can be used in some places firearms are restricted. Landowners might welcome people with air guns to hunt on their land for varmints and small game more readily than they would allow real guns. A single pellet is going to do even less dove breast damage than a shotgun charge.

PS - I would not want birds shot for my pot to land in horsechit or cowchit.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/
Here is a link you may want to read!! Pretty much covers the game laws and means of taking . Just a little light reading for your coastal education and sensibilities!!

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read that and the language seems confusing so I have just emailed the state's game agency with questions for clarification as follows:

Questions about Eurasian Collared Doves in Oklahoma

1. Is this a PROTECTED species in Oklahoma? Many jurisdictions around the world, including many in North America, consider this bird a pest or invasive species.
2. Local weapons ordinances notwithstanding, are BB guns, pellet guns and/or air rifles prohibited as a lawful means for taking Eurasian Collared Doves in Oklahoma?
3. Do I need a valid hunting license or anything else to lawfully take Eurasian Collared Doves in Oklahoma?
4. Are there specific seasons for taking Eurasian Collared Doves in Oklahoma or may they be taken year round on public and/or private property?
5. Are there any limits for taking or possessing Eurasian Collared Doves?

I can't imagine any conservative state such as this would dare go out on a limb to protect such "winged rats" as Eurasian Collared Doves and perhaps any pigeon species. It serves the taxpayers not at all to protect them. They are a pure menace to farmers.

I'm dying to see how the state responds to my questions. Please stay tuned. I hope this state is not something an "anti-air-gun culture" because politicians here have stock in shotgun manufacturers, clay target manufacturers, mickey mouse ears, archery equipment manufactures, muzzleloading industry corporations, the handloading industry and shotgun shell manufacturers. I believe BB guns, peashooters, boomerangs and slingshots are protected under the Second Amendment.

Last edited:

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dork? Is the Eurasian Collared Dove a hallowed species in these parts? A dork for wanting to decimate them without mercy? Is it against any Middle American religion to want to dispose of a pigeon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom