Who will apply for work at Tesla in Tulsa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Manned space flight from US soil is scheduled to resume next when a Falcon9 rocket sends 2 astronauts to the ISS inside a Dragon spacecraft.
It will be the first mashed launch from the US since the shuttle program ended in 2011.

NASA awarded 2 contracts in 2014 for development of manned spacecraft.
4.3 billion dollars to Boeing and 2.5 bilion dollars to Spacex.

BoRGKpx3RWAk2qb8W7HTVi-970-80.jpg

Artists' illustrations of Boeing’s CST-100 Starliner (left) and SpaceX’s Crew Dragon capsules in orbit.

(Image: © Boeing/SpaceX)

dHduwxkcxAg459wCDv5pQQ-970-80.jpg

The dragon spacecraft has completed all of it's requirements required by NASA for manned space flight including the mid-launch abort test.

The Boeing starliner meanwhile failed spectacularly during it's only flight test when it's maneuvering system wasted so much fuel that the spacecraft was unable to reach an orbit compatible with ISS docking. In addition, it's reentry procedure damaged the heat shield.
Both of those problems should have been caught during computer simulations that Boeing claimed they had conducted.
NASA has sent inspectors to the Boeing facility to find out if Boeing pencil-whipped the simulations they signed off on. Sound familiar for Boeing?

It looks to me like Boeing is wasting taxpayer money and SpaceX is returning America to space.
I don't get all the hatred of Elon Musk.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for...

“We love Texas,” James Gleeson, a SpaceX spokesperson, said in a statement, “and believe we are entering a new and exciting era in space exploration.”

“They’re here to stay,” McConnaughey told me, “and they want us to leave.”

“I should not have to be on a list,” Workman told me. “Besides that, why would a SpaceX employee have authorization to stop me on a state highway and tell me I can’t go through?”

Lots more here. Long read but quite interesting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/02/space-x-texas-village-boca-chica/606382/

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
My impression is that big name, glamorous companies treat employees poorly. Probably because there are always people clamoring to be hired by them.
Glad to hear that Tulsa might benefit....but hoping there are no taxpayer subsidies to get them to open a factory here.
I remember 10 years back or so when everyone was going to try to go to work for Google in Pryor. I have been in Tech for 20+ years and worked in a Data Center in Tulsa. All the folks I worked with were planning on going to work there. One buddy applied went though hiring process. Guess what Google in OK ain't google in Cali. All the perks and stuff you heard about. Not in Pryor. They ended up hiring a bunch of temp to perm folks at same pay we already made and they had to drive and hour now. Then once place was online they only hired a few folks. All the others that left for the greener pasture. Yup unemployment lines. Then they shut it down a couple years later during hard times. One of our building engineers left to go there. Yup he wanted his old job back when they shut down.

So go a few more years along they reopen same thing as far as hiring practices. Just like Amazon opening up between Tulsa and Owasso look at the jobs they have posted. Not to mention both Amazon and Tesla are notorious for bad working conditions and working their employees like rented mules while tracking everything they do to try and squeeze just a little more productivity from them. Anyone that works for a large company is just a line on a spreadsheet somewhere. We are all expendable and in a place like Tesla they have already shown they are dependent on gov money and will cut their biggest cost when needed to make stock holders happy.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
. We are all expendable and in a place like Tesla they have already shown they are dependent on gov money and will cut their biggest cost when needed to make stock holders happy.

Which is no different than any automaker out there. Although I will say that if you watch Tesla's stock, Musk doesn't give a flying F what happens to it..... he can pull a Trump every now and then lol.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
but hoping there are no taxpayer subsidies to get them to open a factory here.
LMAO, you do realize the billions that were poured into the OKC economy from Cabelas opening here - on subsidies for the first year. Its simple math. We give them a carrot t draw em in once and we reap the benefits of added jobs, tax income from consumer spending and economic growth over all.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where are all those boys flingin poo his way recently?

It won't happen in Tulsa in my opinion, our schools suck and Texas has no income tax. I will happily eat crow if they come here, and I will buy a truck.

That's what I was wondering. Folks up in here were all about bashing Tesla because "he took guvmint money" and stuff like that (while ignoring the oil and gas subsidies at the same time).

Now it's "Hey, Elon! Give me a job Bro!". LOL.

The company is doing some pretty neat stuff. Is it snake oil? Some of it still feels like it to me but part of me wants to believe too. I've seen a bunch of Teslas in town. SpaceX's reusable rocket boosters are amazing to watch.

Oh yeah, and Burns Flat will never be anything but a remote practice strip and a place for cops to drive fast. Nobody is going to move a multi billion dollar enterprise out there. There is zero infrastructure. The former base is deteriorating at a rapid pace. There is nowhere for employees and their families to live, work, and go to school. It ain't happening. The Air Force killed that dream when it stuck the tip in and then pulled out early back in the 60's.

Last edited:

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had the better part of 35 cars out in Tulsa yesterday filming all over. BOK, OneOk, Guthrie Green, Black Wall Street, Circle Theater, TU, Phillbrook and the Gathering Place.

ZjDqWk1l.jpg

yEkCrwjl.png

ZQZB3lvl.png

KGRfDo0l.png

Allegedly the commercial/ad/video drops today at some point.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They'll go to Austin using the promise of a factory as a way to overturn laws in America's second largest state.

This sounds like one of the best Austin arguments I've seen --- it would definitely help to increase brand desirability and market position in Texas, and that ain't a small market by any stretch of the imagination even if I have a hard time believing the truck community there would really entertain the uglyness that is the Cyber Truck.

Was on internet a week ago they chose Austin over Tulsa.
Besides we don't need a flood of liberals moving in like Texas

I know right? God forbid we have a force counterbalancing a lot of the folks still in the 60's that live here.

I'm still here. I wouldn't work for that gubberment subsidized guy if it were the last job available. I learned a long time ago that jobs that rely on the latest greatest technology don't always turn out good.
Yeah he has been around for awhile, but I've never seen a tesla on the road and I'm on the road about 70K miles a year now.

I see Teslas all the time from Mexico to the States to Canada (well, back when I was traveling for work. All over Florida, two folks at my daughters dance class, 1 at her old pre-school, etc etc. It's almost like the new slugbug game for the car. But come on, really with the subsidy argument? Most numbers I've seen put the US annual subsidy cost for fossil fuels around 20-25 billion a year. Tesla's number as estimated by a pro-trump/anti-Elon group was in the 4 billion range, and that number was arrived at factoring the full value of certain 20 year subsidies and already paid-back loans. Thankfully coal plants aren't fossil fuels and I'm totally sure they didn't get any of that gubberment subsidy though.

LOL...He didn't scam anyone any more than take your pick of any oil and gas company.

100% this.

My impression is that big name, glamorous companies treat employees poorly.
I've always been under the impression that nearly all companies treat their employees like dog poo. I know I haven't watched really any of my benefits get better over the years and I've been working with very large Fortune companies. My expectations have gone up, while I've had bonuses taken away, raises withheld to please the shareholders, and all sorts of sneaky crap. There are companies out there that I'm sure do things different but they're rare jewels to find.

Latest posts

Top Bottom