WHY A SHOTGUN IS BEST FOR HOME DEFENSE (AND ALL SORTS OF OTHER THINGS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Know your choke and the round your shooting. Your wad an what your pellets are made of matters. And pattern your shotgun for what ever round(s) you shoot.

case and point

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use whatever gives you the most confidence provided that confidence comes from trained and practiced competence and not whatever happens to be the flavor of the month on YouTube.

Let's be realistic about home defense. We have seen enough videos to know that intruders somtimes have numerical superiority, that said, unless the home defender is involved in something nefarious and the bad guys are there for more than the microwave an extended gunfight in very unlikely. Typically after the first shot is fired by the home defender the bad guys will do a quick revaluation and decide they should be somewhere else. Unless the home defenders house is atypical is size most shots won't be longer than 12 yards +/-, most will be a much shorter distance. The typical 00 buck load fired from an 18 inch barrel open choke shotgun will spead about 1 inch +/- for every yard, so we are looking at about a 12 inch pattern at 12 yards. An improved choke with Federal Flight Control 00 buck 8 pellet will cut that pattern in half. Unless a bear happens to invade your home slugs are, well, just kinda silly. All the +/- are because every shotgun is different and why it is important to pattern each load you use.

If you wanna chase bad guys outside your home I suppose a slug is okay. From a legal standpoint chasing bad guys is really a dumbass thing to do, both the McMicheals got 2 life sentences for chasing down what they believed to be a bad guy and killed him.........but to each their own.

I still believe Mas Ayoob got it right about firearms for home defense. The shotgun is like artillery, it is devastating when fired into a known and plotted field of fire. The handgun is like infantry, fast, maneuverable and adaptable to rapidly changing situations.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Our Commander in Chief said my 9mm will blow the lungs out of the BG so that is my go to........... If out of 9mm, I can go with Gods round , you know 45ACP and completely vaporize the attacker!! Shotguns are clearly for hunting dinosaurs and sasquatch!!

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still believe Mas Ayoob got it right about firearms for home defense. The shotgun is like artillery, it is devastating when fired into a known and plotted field of fire. The handgun is like infantry, fast, maneuverable and adaptable to rapidly changing situations.
Doesn’t sound like either of you have seen first hand what the queen can do.

Here’s a short clip from some random internet guy 😆

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn’t sound like either of you have seen first hand what the queen can do.

Here’s a short clip from some random internet guy 😆

You mean where I wrote that shotguns were "devastating" or do you not know the definition of "devastating".

Let me help,

Devastating Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

https://www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › devast...

Definition of devastating ; 1 · causing great damage or harm

Almost forgot, Clint Smith is okay, I guess, but the last I heard he doesn't do Force on Force. No thinking person would go to a martial arts school that doesn't spar why would you go a gun school that doesn't spar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom