Why and how i cut my .308 barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The why is first.
some funky groups always with this 24" barrel gun and this funny looking uneven pattern at the muzzle end. Like the muzzle was flared in a certain spot no bullet wear marks.
hipoint45 029.jpg notice the pattern difference ..the next pic is a 180 turn of the barrel.hipoint45 030.jpg

This is why i wanted to have the barrel cut..and to see if there is an accuracy improvement with a shorter barrel.

Now the how..
Insert some cleaning patches into the bore below the cut you will make.
Mark the barrel around the circumference where the cut will be...
Cut just in front of that mark, I cut with a hacksaw and 32 tooth per inch blade.

I cut a little and rotated the gun a little and cut some more basically cutting around the gun ..Usually if you try to cut straight through with a hacksaw it will walk and you will end up with a curved cut.

The reference line was left so i can gauge where i am at as i file the fresh cut muzzle.
I used a single cut fine file to file it.
I used a flat smooth sharpening stone and some spit( you can use oil etc) on it to polish it flatter.

I need to chamfer the hole so i take some fine lapping compound and a marble in my fingers and rotate it back and forth.
After a couple minutes i clean that off and use dampened baking soda and polish the chamfer again with a marble.
I actually can see my cleaning patches in the barrel they are about 1/4" from the end and i fill this area with the damp baking soda.. as it is tough to keep enough baking soda on a marble to do any good.

Here is a pic of the finished product..hipoint45 031.jpg

Some scratches are still there but the business part works well.
I may later add a large bevel to the outside.
I slightly chamfered the outside of the barrel with 400 grit sandpaper just to reduce the sharp fresh cut edge.

In no way am i condoning you cutting your own barrel..If you screw it up it is on you..
I felt my barrel needed something done to it as it was flawed.
And i chose 20.5" because if i screwed it up a smith could take it to 20".
But so far i am happy.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes i have .. just yesterday during all that wind.
In fact the cut barrel pic is after firing 18 rounds through it..I was expecting to see the flower pattern on the fresh steel but no build up at all.
Barrel was really clean.
I lost about 54fps average vs the 24"..More testing ahead to confirm that number.
Accuracy is good..will test at 200 yards next instead of 100 to get a better idea if i messed it up.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot it again today at 200 yards..
I was rewarded with a 3 shot 1.022" group with a new load ..43gr of IMR 4064.
I am going to use a brownell muzzle cutter A O and 11 degree and see if it gets any better.

I also shot some varying weight varget loads and 1.2-1.4" groupsat 200 yards 5-8 mph winds.
I think i will play with 4064 some morehipoint45 033.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did another barrel touch up..I stuck the barrel end against my disc sander which has a table and fence
I rolled the barrel as i pushed it against the disc lightly and pushed it from the center of the disc to 1/4" from the edge.
The sandpaper is worn out 180grit..so a light cut.

Only a tiny bit of metal was removed and i looked at it and my file job was right on..As the disc cut evenly across the entire barrel face.

I then used a marble and put a slight chamfer on the muzzle hole.
I will shoot it again and see what it does before i use the Brownell tool on it.
I measured the center hole to the outside edge of the barrel and the hole is off center by .010" from factory at the muzzle end.
Now i have no idea at the breech end if it is .010 on the same side or what ..
So using the disc sander will still not make the face parallel with the muzzle.
This is all just an experiment.. kind of like seeing what color rooster tail spinner works best for you.

Bee nice to make this a tack driver, just not there yet.hipoint45 035.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 30-30 that was my dad's i was shooting that with old ammo from the 1980's and at 100 yards i could split pencils in half stuck in the ground.and i could stand a filled water bottle up and place a cap i took off another water bottle on top of the filled one's cap and shoot it off at 100 yards.
That was almost a tack driver..Had a 4X redfield scope on it that gun and scope was purchased in 1974.

I had to start hand loading for it as the new store ammo all sucked in that gun.. it now shoots ok but not like it did.
Used to shoot 3/4" groups all day the first one was always right on the money..and that is what counts,,First shot.
I actually drove a tack with it (the 30-30) with my hand loads but it took 3 shots..Suck!

Then i get these supposedly tack driver high power rifles and really not impressed with them yet...
More load work and some tweaks and i may get .25" MOA then i may be happy.

I guess i should be happy now as in the end i just want to put meat on the table with them, and all my guns will do that.

Here is a group at 211 yards from my 30-06 including the cold bore shot.. need that cold bore to come in some..It was 37 degrees outside and the gun spent the night outside.
4 shot group 30-06.The savage .308 should by all means mop the floor with the 30-06
30-06 165gr 37f.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom