Why and how i cut my .308 barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried my new scope and fresh crowned barrel with Brownell crowning tools A 90 degree to make flat and an 11 degree for the finish crown.
Here is a .650" group i shot today 5 shots. hipoint45 044.jpg
And a 3 shot group .590" with reformed 270 brass to fit the .308, same bullet.
hipoint45 042.jpg

I need to do some 200 yard testing again to decide if it is all good.
I like my new smaller reticle scope..Very clear from 6-24 power

hoo-t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ever have one of those Homer Simpson "DOH!" moments? Not that it was my first, but my most recent one came at about 8pm this evening. I was thinking about the cool time I had at the gun range today. I got to meet a great forum member and he let me shoot his .308, and he shot my 03A3. It was a fun time! Then I got to thinking about him telling me that he had cut the barrel and crowned it...then...DOH!!! I remembered this thread!

So, anyway, Jeff, nice job on the rifle! And thank you for letting me shoot it, and mine using your rest!

Steve

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
It was great to meet you Steve I had fun and your O3A3 is a great shooter it was only off left to right 1.4" with both of us shooting it...That gun has great potential..I hope we get a chance to try some hand loads in it.

Possibly some you make yourself :)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well i took the .308 to 275 and 200 yards a few 2 shot groups at 200 yards measure from .533" to .448" center to center . Then a 3 shot group at 275 yards with 4064 powder and 1X fired FLS Lapua brass measured 1.050" center to center.

Then 3 shots from winchester brass multiple times fired..275 yard group measured .328" center to center for 2 of the rounds then our Oklahoma winds picked up and started blowing. That is my excuse why i cant find hole #3
I am pretty happy with my hacksaw cut barrel and new scope.
Should make a good hunting rifle..The bullets are 165 game king Hollow point boat tails and have proven to be deadly on everything i have shot with them.
The target. A little hard to read.
hipoint45 053.jpg

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another guy on this forum inherited a hack saw cut barrel in 6mm Rem if I remember right. Tack driver. We have no clue how he did it.

Dennis, my FIL was famous for cutting rifle barrels off. As they would get older and the groups would open up a bit he would take a hacksaw to it in a heart beat. One would make a mistake to shoot groups with him for more than just fun. He won many bench rest shoots when he was younger living in South Texas. I now own a Remington Varminter in .243 with a 20 inch barrel. I also have his little Remington 725 in .222 and his little Remington 6 mm..All of them will still shoot and all were cut off at least once with a hacksaw. He would start out by marking the barrel with a set of tubing cutters. The cutters would mark the line that he would stay off of a little with his hacksaw. He would then file it down to the line. Crowning was done with a 1/4 inch drill motor..Once again..It sounds rough and crude but his groups would speak for themselves.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update:
The gun was taken to 300 yards with the old centerpoint 4-16x40 scope some 168A max bullets seated on top of
42.5gr varget in Lapua brass, ignited by 210M primers.

This produced a 1.670" 4 shot group at 300 yards,, including the cold bore shot and also including a shot that was taken 1 hour after the first 3 shots.

At almost dark thirty this evening.

that load will also print just the same when it is 88 degrees outside.
I am super happy with it..

Latest posts

Top Bottom