Why are Oklahoma's roads so crappy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always had a tin-hatter conspiracy that the OTA is as corrupt as the trash haulers in New Jersey in the early 70s. Some dogs are getting fed under the table.
In my mind this is one of the two plausible explanations.

Either we are so poor we can't afford to spend the money on quality road construction and maintenance...

Or, we CAN afford to spend the money on quality roads, but graft and corruptions means that that money ISN'T getting spent on the roads.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One recent Rumor here. We had a big road project funded here, then the money wasn't there. All that happened was we elected a new commish. Another previous commish before this had the county gravel road paved 5 miles to his house -lol

But yes oklahoma roads are overall terrible

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my mind this is one of the two plausible explanations.

Either we are so poor we can't afford to spend the money on quality road construction and maintenance...

Or, we CAN afford to spend the money on quality roads, but graft and corruptions means that that money ISN'T getting spent on the roads.

Well, our per mile repave costs have been a lot higher than neighboring states in several cases I've read about. It's ridiculous. Corruption is really the only explanation for it.

They can't smooth talk an answer to millions of Okies asking "Why do the roads get shittier when I hit the state line into Oklahoma?" That isn't anything that can be rationalize with weather or budgets. It's simply a failure to do what should be done.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, this makes no sense. A good number of states get worse weather conditions than us. Look at the upper midwest. It gets triple digits there just like it does here and it gets 30-50 degrees colder every winter than we EVER see here in Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, etc . Hell, even our neighbor to the north of Kansas gets much worse temp fluctuations than us and their roads are much better.

OP, it's a riddle that will never be answered. Like "Why is the old lady in a bad mood?" or "How big is Cher's penis?" We'll never know.

I think it's part of our clannish attitude. Travelers hit the state line, bite their tongue on a bump, and decide to keep on going. I drive a shitton for work also, and I've driven thousands upon thousands of miles in other states in the lower 48 and I've never, ever, ever seen roads that approach the shitpaths we drive on in OK. It's part of our unique charm.

The turnpikes really make me smile. Paid roads. Remember the Cimmaron before the last patchjob paveover? I was working in Ponca communting fom Tulsa for a while about 6 years ago. Sore red teats on a fat boar hog, that was an awful drive. 412 outside Chouteau is a real winner, too. About 8 years ago I actually though I had a flat there. Then we have Rollercaoster Bridge on the east section of the Creek. WOO CHITLINS HANG ON, WE'S A DRIVIN' THE SUPERHIGHWAY TO GRANDMAS HOUSE!

http://www.newson6.com/story/10708681/why-is-a-creek-turnpike-bridge-like-a-roller-coaster

:lmfao:

RH, you are truly an OSA gem.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Every state in this part of the country has the same weather we do, and they all have perfectly fine roads.

Never said I agreed with it, just how I got the same question answered to me before, by someone who one would think "should" know a little something or other, lol...

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, it's a riddle that will never be answered. Like "Why is the old lady in a bad mood?" or "How big is Cher's penis?" We'll never know.
Don't know about Cher's penis but she says her daughter/son Chaz has the worlds biggest after having surgery. She also said it was a bit crooked and it just looked like a tube of skin - like those white sausage links you can buy in the refrigerated section of Cracker Barrel.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, is there any recourse that we, normal every day people, have against these ****** road construction and maintenance shenanigans?

How do we hold the crews and companies that get these contracts accountable?

Moreover, how do we hold our elected and appointed officials who oversee the construction and maintenance contracts accountable?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What if we built roads with cement/concrete?

Assuming costs......there's 15 miles of concrete highway 81 north of Enid. Not sure of its age. I've been in the are over 20 years and I'm guessing it's around 40 years old...... it's not continuous, it's poured in sections, and the sections have since separated leaving gaps in between. Any patches made are done with asphalt, which doesn't adhere to the concrete......makes for a rough mess.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try it on a motorcycle in heavy commercial truck traffic. It'll definitely keep you awake.

I think they should use the money that is intended for road construction and maintenance to actually build and maintain the roads. Maybe a good reason to email Joe Dorman and give him another platform (Or pothole) to stand on (Or in)...

Latest posts

Top Bottom