Why are shotguns best for home defense?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short range. You don't kill your neighbor at the end of the block with a overpowered rifle or pistol round.
A shotgun is one nasty fight stopper. Ever see a body that was hit with buck and ball at say 15-20 feet? Shotgun at the house is way to go though I do keep a G43X on the nightstand.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep a Rem. 870/ 20ga. by my bed. If I was out chasing bad guys, kicking in doors, I'd want a 12 gauge, but in my house a 20 gauge will do everything the 12 gauge will do

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the 12 gauge the best home defense weapon? Could be, however I have seen people have trouble with recoil and follow up shots. Also what's the spread of the shot over a 25 foot or greater distance? It's not as great as one might think. What if you are using slugs? I like the 12 gauge, there are many excellent ones and they do offer a lot of flexibility with ammo choices, however handguns and rifles may be a better personal choice for some for lack of recoil and maneuvering in a tight space.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll bite lol…speaking from a form of experience, I love a 12ga for a bump in the night gun.

I have delt with waking up middle of night to coyotes attacking pets/calves/chickens etc.. tough to hit them with my Glock 19x with light, and when you hit them they usually keep moving. 12ga w/buckshot is MUCH easier to make hits with, and when ya hit ‘em they drop FAST

Pistols require lots of practice to actually be worth a damn shooting it. Especially under stress or high adrenaline. MUCH easier to shoot a long gun. Even AR pistol or pistol caliber carbine would be much better than a handgun in a gunfight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom